Are cigarettes really addictive? Really?

Ace Of Bass

• Members

Well, there's tons of scientific evidence that cigarettes are addictive. If you don't believe in science though...

I smoked for about three years, heavily, two, three packs a day or more, and gave up cold turkey. Haven't had one since. But the majority of hardcore smokers I know, not social smokers, have tried and tried to quit, unsucessfully.

Obviously some folks are more prone to addiction than others, so it's harder for them to quit anything that's addictive, smoking, eating, masturbating (hmmmm)....

• Members
Originally posted by Dark Slide

The fact that you're obviously an idiot WAAAAY overshadows whether or not cigarettes are addicting or not.

I figured you'd post here after your other comment in a smoking thread.
Me, personally, I don't seem to get addicted to cigarettes. So, I've basically figured that I might as well take that as an opportunity to quit, which I did last week.

I suppose I could have just made my original post say "Hey everyone, I'm quitting smoking" but what would be the point in that? I might as well post it, as Z-X likes to point out, on a blog. But I'm interested in others' opinions and experiences in the matter--It seems I am clearly not the only one to experience this, and it varies greatly from person to person.

So, am I an idiot for quitting, or for noticing that I'm not addicted to them? :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by Ace Of Bass

So, am I an idiot for quitting, or for noticing that I'm not addicted to them?
:confused:

You're an idiot for trivializing the addiction of millions of people because you think that they've got the same feelings and physiology that you do.

• Members

Anyone else see the funny irony in this post?

Originally posted by Dark Slide

The fact that you're obviously an idiot WAAAAY overshadows whether or not cigarettes are addicting or not.

Did you by chance mean, "the fact that you're obviously an idiot WAAAAY overshadows whether or not cigarettes are addictive?"

You really didn't need to add the word "not" to the phrase "whether or not," smarty-pants.

:p

• Members

Originally posted by Ace Of Bass

About a year ago I picked up the habbit again, and got into smoking quite a bit. After 8 or 9 months, I thought maybe I should quit, so I did. I was smoking, and just thought, I think this will be my last one. No problem, never got any urges. Stayed like that for 2 months, until I was offered a cigarette in a rather awkward setting, and thought about it a bit, and finally decided that I'd enjoy starting again. Stayed kept smokingt, going anywhere from 1/2 to 2 packs a day for about 3 months, usually heavy and unfiltered. I enjoyed it. Last week, I was thinking that I was actually having a little trouble breathing and coughing up phlegm, so maybe I should cut back a bit. At the end of the week, I thought, instead of smoking all the time, I'll just smoke when I get an actual urge to smoke, rather than just going through them every time I'd happen to be outside.

I decided that on Saturday. It's the end of Monday now, and I haven't had a single urge or desire to smoke yet. I thought the first few days were supposed to be the worst?

I've got a whole pack here to smoke. What am I supposed to do with it now?

I'll probably get an urge to smoke tomorrow when I'm waiting for my test results to see if I will die of AIDS...but other than that...

Hmmm...I see you're having trouble quitting too, otherwise you'd just quit and stay quit. Don't feel bad, it happens to lots of us.

• Members

I dont smoke cigarettes, but I occasionally smoke cigars, pot, and I drink sometimes.

I honestly think it's a mind over matter thing - I'm not saying that I've got a stronger mind than someone else because they cant just have one drink and I can, though.

I tried cigarettes once.. they tasted awful, and I didnt want another one. They made me feel nothing but queasy.

I'll smoke a cigar once every few months because I like the taste.

The only thing I smoke with any regularity is weed, and that's about once a week - Usually only when it's around (when I'm hangin' out with the guys, etc).. I can prettymuch guarantee that I wouldnt smoke if it wasnt as convenient. I like it, and all, but not enough to go out and actively look for it.

Archived