disconnecting tweeter: Impedance question.

HuskerDude

• Members

Originally posted by HuskerDude

So I have an Ampeg BA-115, and this tweeter hiss is starting to get to me. Were I to disconnect the tweeter, would I need a dummy load on there, and how much of one?

nah, you just need to make sure that you put some electic tape around the wires to make sure they don't short.

• Members

The impedance of the tweeter only effects resistance in the frequency range the tweeter operates at. Depending on what type of crossover you have, this may or may not have an effect on the woofer. Typically you won't notice any effect on the woofer at all. Soundwise, if you just have a cap for a crossover, the cap just stops the lower frequencies from reacing the tweeter to protect it (there is a LOT more power in the lower frequencies). If you have a true crossover, the highs will not be sent to the woofer, either. Peavey cabs are like this so if you loose the tweeter, you loos everything over 3000 hz. If you have a true crossover, I would bypass it and send the entire signal directly to the woofer. If you only have a cap (no coil) as a crossover, you only need to do as oldivor suggested and tape the ends of the leads up.

Archived