Car help/my date tonight

Ace Of Bass

• Members

One of my friends was cooking dinner tonight, so I brought that young girl I met a while ago.

Picked up the girl, drove to my friend's house, turned the key to shut off the engine, engine stopped...but the key wouldn't come out. I pulled...it didn't come out. It wouldn't move at all--wouldn't start the car again, wouldn't come out. It's stuck in that halfway position where the radio and stuff works and the key won't come out, and it won't move from there. I pull I full times, and not wanting to look like a complete idiot on this first date, just shrug and get out, leaving the keys in the ignition while I went for dinner. Afterwards, I had to accept the inevitable fate that this might be an embarassing end to the date, and I, my date, and my friend all spent about an hour trying various ways to remove my key from the car. Finally my friend just drove us all home, leaving my car at her house. So, I'm now without a car.

Anyone have any advice? Since the keys are in the ignition in the "acc" position, I'm pretty sure the battery will be drained by the time I get back to it.

The steering wheel moves freely, and it shifts from park to neutral and drive and everything else. It just won't turn on, or turn completely off.

It sucks.

• Members

This would happen in my old Bonneville sometimes. The problem with mine was the button/lever that you have to push in to shift out of park would stick and I'd have to get a knife or something similar to pry the button out when it was in park.

• Members

Ya know....stuff just breaks. You get it fixed. Then just tell the woman you got your car back da da da let's go out again. Those are just average things that happen. On my first date ever with a real pretty woman someone stepped on my VW beetle's tailpipes while we were in a vegetarian restuarant. Louder than a Harley all the way home.......

• Members

Well the first thing you should do is, make sure it is in park, if it is an automatic. This will always always solve the problem, you may not have got it in park all the way, cause you were looking at her legs.:D

If that did not work, instead of draining you battery, you should have removed the - Negative battery cable post from the battery.

The WD-40 is a great idea that was posted above. Don't twist or pull on the key really hard, this will just cause more damage.

If all else fails contact a friendly local mechanic and see if he can look at it on his way home from work, as this may save you money on having it towed.

If you don't know anyone who works on cars, pop into your local Auto parts store and ask the guys, they are mostly motorheads that work on cars at night and weekends, if not they will know someone that can fix it for cash, and they will give you a break on the parts if needed, just tell them you are a broke musician.:)

Archived