good, loud, full bass amp for cheap????

ryanstanley

• Members

sorry for the common question, i know that gets asked here a lot...

but i need a giggable, professional sounding amp head for about $300 or less

we play at about average band volume (not ear-bleeding but enough to be powerful), and i need something with a good, thick tone that can be brighter if needed... i'll probably eventually use it as a backup for the ampeg i'll get later. oh and i'll probably be running it through an ampeg 610hlf

any ideas? the other thread mentioned the crate powerblock, and i know the minus the bear bassist uses a fairly cheap behringer head that sounds really great-- what are your thoughts on those?

• Members

You're looking for just a head?

You should be able to find a GK800RB for around that price.

Also a Yorkville XS400 should be around that used as well. A little bit more $ would get you a Yorkville XS800 head used.

Can't recommend any others as I don't have enough experience with others besides the 3 I mentioned.

• Members

My Ashdown has been excellent and VERY reliable and VERY loud despite it's modest stats. It doesn't sound hi-fi though if you want that sound. I've heard plenty of different heads of similar abilities but the Ashdown was best value for me (US goods are incredibly expensive here).

• Members

cool, i wonder if the ashdown would be more expensive in the US

and Emprov, that's actually what i have right now-- a Peavey TNT 1x15 combo.... it works, but just isnt enough. i played a show with an ampeg setup recently and it really showed me what our band could sound like. i need something pro-level! i'm just hoping there's some company like avatar that makes really great stuff for cheap

• Members

Originally posted by james on bass

You're looking for just a head?

You should be able to find a GK800RB for around that price.

Also a Yorkville XS400 should be around that used as well. A little bit more $ would get you a Yorkville XS800 head used.

Can't recommend any others as I don't have enough experience with others besides the 3 I mentioned.

are any of those comparable to an SVT? it doesn't need the samekind of tone, i just mean in general tone quality & power

• Members

For an Ampeg backup, you could always go with an Ampeg B2R. If you run it at 4 ohm it can get decently loud (350w). And can be had for $300-$350 with shipping and a rackmount...and if you're lucky a rack tuner or power conditioner. I loved my B2R when I had it, I just wanted more power and more Ampeg grit behind my tone.

B2R w/ 4 space Rackmount

Church Used B2R

B2R w/ 6 space Rackmount

B2R w/ 4 space Rackmount and Korg Tuner

Or you could go with this. hehe.

That's all I could find of B2Rs on the evil bay...I went through all the Ampeg heads and stuff to check your PR...oh, you can get some nice Ampeg 610s off the bay too. There was one the other day for around 700 with shipping new/like new.

Archived