New Arrival: It Exists!

Thunderbroom

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Rowka

Very very nice.

My NS arrived yesterday too, but it really doesn't exist yet (no pictures yet).

You're right. I don't believe you.

Hmmmph...

Thanks again to Undead Sycip for actually playing this bass in the store in San Diego before it was shipped to me. It's far from perfect cosmetically, but I plan to play it on stage in bars at some point, I don't want something that I'm going to have to worry over. For the price, it's replaceable should a beer bottle get jammed in the f hole.

I've set a target of February 10 to play this thing with my band on stage. We're playing a benefit that day at a huge bar on a huge stage. It will likely only be for a few songs, but...

• Members

Originally posted by thebeatcatcher2

i leave for about a month, come back and you have this beauty...

nice purchase!

make sure you practice spinning and standing on it.

also, with the bow, make sure to loosen the hair after you play.

Glad to see you back!

I rocked the {censored} out of the PVC EUB at our gig last month. The sound guy, who's been running sound for years, said it is the best sounding pure bass tone that he's ever heard through a PA! The place had two band stages. We played the smaller one and had at least 700 people watching. We're playing the large stage for the benefit in February. My goal is to play the PVC again as well as the upright, my fretless and one of my fretted basses. I'm super pumped.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

Glad to see you back!

I rocked the {censored} out of the PVC EUB at our gig last month. The sound guy, who's been running sound for years, said it is the best sounding pure bass tone that he's ever heard through a PA! The place had two band stages. We played the smaller one and had at least 700 people watching. We're playing the large stage for the benefit in February. My goal is to play the PVC again as well as the upright, my fretless and one of my fretted basses. I'm super pumped.

cool, glad it's working out for you. but you got the real thing now!

yeah, my password wasn't working for awhile and the email request thing didn't work, so i created #2. after the wedding and the honeymoon things got real busy at school b/c i had put everything off.

• Members

hey T Broom! Glad you finally got the doghouse!

Scuff up the rosin with a knife or something and then pass the bow through it. Several passes initially.

String height: matter of taste. I tend towards low. I read somewhere that for good jazz pizzicato, you'll want it lower than 10mm. I think I had you at 6mm at the G. You can of course raise and lower it via your bridge. It is normal for the fatter strings to be a little higher than the treble side because setting them real low robs you of volume.

Choke that chicken!

• Members

Originally posted by Rowka

With the piezo pickup, he will most definitely need a preamp with that.

Not necessarily.

I talked with Bob Gollihur about this. Based on my using it with the Genz, he said it was highly likely I wouldn't need a preamp. Since I really do need a preamp with the PVC (but get by without it), I ordered one anyway.

• Members

Not necessarily.

I talked with Bob Gollihur about this. Based on my using it with the Genz, he said it was highly likely I wouldn't need a preamp. Since I really do need a preamp with the PVC (but get by without it), I ordered one anyway.

Is it wrong to have GAS for a PVC URB? :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by ivanthetrble

Is it wrong to have GAS for a PVC URB?
:confused:

Absolutely not!

The looks I get when I start playing this on stage are priceless. It sounds great too! I've had two pro sound guys tell me it's got a great sound and one of them went on to say it's the best pure bass sound he's heard through a PA after years of running sound.

• Members

Not necessarily.

Certain brands do not need pres. SWR and GK are some examples and apparently GB as well.

• Members

Originally posted by Thumper

Ah.

Crystalcello is a brandname. you can buy them off Amazon, which is where I plan to get mine sometime next year.

It's a Prima that I got from freedomguitar.com

• Members

I picked up my Prima from Freedom Guitars earlier this yer, went for the flamed one, the strings aren't condusive to arco (bowed) playing, they squeek a lot, probably cheap strings. Bob gulliher hasa great site, with insight that seems very true, not just pushy salesguy talk! I'm going to order a stand sometime, for now I just prop it up against my PA rack and the wall.........

Take some time to make sure the feel is right, if not, move your bridge around (closer to or further from the neck)) until it seems right, the positions along the neck change pretty drastically, so you'll want to make sure it is right before you start working on the muscle memory as to what position is where... Your electric chops are going to be steller (If they aren't already.... I wouldn't know either way) because after rockin' this big bad boy, the elctric feels like Telecaster with 9's on it!!

Good Purchase!!!!

• Members

Yeah man, and I can run around the board like a mother thanks to my URB workouts.... but that would be wankery and I don't do that... too much.......

Still trying to pick songs to play it on, or trying to get the band to learn more songs for the URB.

Archived