Opinons on my band Kingdom Heights (free EP download)

Kingdomheights

• Members

Hey guys I am new here, but an aspiring vocalist, my influences are Michael Sweet, Bruce Dickinson, Tim Ripper Owens, James Labrie, Myles Kennedy and Scott Weiland. Here is my band Kingdom Heights, its our debut demo. We are a christian rock band. The link below will allow you to download our 7 song ep for free. Or you can click on the soundclick link and just listen to em

Please let me know what you guys think as a whole and vocally .

FYI I did all the vocals in 1 day in the studio, and NO pitch correction nor cutting and pasting was done on vocals. (i don't believe in that)

www.soundclick.com/kingdomheights

http://www.lensflares.com/KingdomHeights_2009_EP.zip

KHNewspaper.jpg

• Members

here ya go dude,

www.soundclick.com/kingdomheights

by the way i dig your stuff on your page:)

Cool, thanks.

OK, I listened to a smattering of the tunes, and right away, I like the style you guys are doing. I also dig your voice--takes me back to the stuff I used to listen to in the '80s. There are also some really cool ideas going on. In short, it rocks.

Now the criticism: The band is not tight--everyone needs to get locked down and in the pocket. This includes some of your faster vocal phrases--they lag behind a bit. Also, some of your vocal lines are not there, pitch wise. I don't know if it's just that you didn't nail them in the studio, but it sounds more like they're not fully realized yet--like you don't know exactly what notes you want to sing.

There's a lot of promise here. If it were polished up, this would be the sort of thing I would listen to.

Oh, and one more thing... while I agree with you for the most part on the pitch correct and cut/paste, you need to realize that a recording is different from a live performance. It needs to be perfect. There is no shame in punching in (re-recording) a phrase here and there that you didn't totally nail the first time. Perfection is even more important when you're doubling your vocal. Pitch and phrasing need to match up almost exactly, or it doesn't sound good.

EDIT: Oops, one more thing and then I'll shut up. Start thinking more about vocal production--where to double and where not to, where to have a single harmony line, and where to put in some massive choral harmonies. That kind of {censored} separates the men from the boys.

Keep it up.

• Members

Cool, thanks.

OK, I listened to a smattering of the tunes, and right away, I like the style you guys are doing. I also dig your voice--takes me back to the stuff I used to listen to in the '80s. There are also some really cool ideas going on. In short, it rocks.

Now the criticism: The band is not tight--everyone needs to get locked down and in the pocket. This includes some of your faster vocal phrases--they lag behind a bit. Also, some of your vocal lines are not there, pitch wise. I don't know if it's just that you didn't nail them in the studio, but it sounds more like they're not fully realized yet--like you don't know exactly what notes you want to sing.

There's a lot of promise here. If it were polished up, this would be the sort of thing I would listen to.

Oh, and one more thing... while I agree with you for the most part on the pitch correct and cut/paste, you need to realize that a recording is different from a live performance. It needs to be perfect. There is no shame in punching in (re-recording) a phrase here and there that you didn't totally nail the first time. Perfection is even more important when you're doubling your vocal. Pitch and phrasing need to match up almost exactly, or it doesn't sound good.

EDIT: Oops, one more thing and then I'll shut up. Start thinking more about vocal production--where to double and where not to, where to have a single harmony line, and where to put in some massive choral harmonies. That kind of {censored} separates the men from the boys.

Keep it up.

thanks so much, we recorded it a year ago, we plan on going back after the first of the year. Great advice for me to take with me to the studio:thu:

Guest Anonymous

I am a rookie at this forum and am just starting to build my voice back up and get into singing more seriously and pursue some of my own interests. Having said that ... here's my bit!

In my opinion, your influences are very high quality vocalists. Your voice sounds very connected from bottom to top. It's very obvious that your tone is placed forward without strain and uniquely shaped and powerful by your use of resonance. It's been my experience and experimentation that there is virtually no struggle with registers when the voice is placed and connected in this manner. I would be willing to bet you can sing for hours with this kind of placement with little to no strain. I am curious...where did you get your vocal training?

I liked your music. Listening to it has helped me remember and visualize some very important techniques as I work on my own voice.

• Members

I am a rookie at this forum and am just starting to build my voice back up and get into singing more seriously and pursue some of my own interests. Having said that ... here's my bit!

In my opinion, your influences are very high quality vocalists. Your voice sounds very connected from bottom to top. It's very obvious that your tone is placed forward without strain and uniquely shaped and powerful by your use of resonance. It's been my experience and experimentation that there is virtually no struggle with registers when the voice is placed and connected in this manner. I would be willing to bet you can sing for hours with this kind of placement with little to no strain. I am curious...where did you get your vocal training?

I liked your music. Listening to it has helped me remember and visualize some very important techniques as I work on my own voice.

WOW thank you so much for the kind words. Here is my bit....

I have been singing this style seriously for about 3 to four years. Prior to figuring out I could reach the higher registers, I always thought I was going to be stuck in baritone mode. And then one day I was in my car singing along with lol...."Soliders under command" by Stryper and I was like HOLY COW how am I hitting these notes. The high pitched screaming definately was a surprise to me. I have never ever taken a vocal lesson, I literally have always tried to emulate my favorite singers and in that time I have molded all my influences into what I hear as "my voice". I do vocal warm up excercises every day for 30 mins, and to help my breathing and stamina I run and bike ride everyday. I wish I could give you more insight but honestly I know God almighty gave me my talent not myself, and as long as I continue to use it for him he will continue to bless my voice.

:thu:

Guest Anonymous

There are very few people out there on the end of the bell curve that find their voice as natural as that… and no training! A blessing indeed. Your gratitude shines through in your words and music. I look forward to hearing more.

• Members

Cool, thanks.

Keep it up.

GREAT ADVICE!:thu:

"sounds more like they're not fully realized yet--like you don't know exactly what notes you want to sing."

This is my worst problem, I feel.

Is there any way to get around this?

• Members

GREAT ADVICE!
:thu:

"sounds more like they're not fully realized yet--like you don't know exactly what notes you want to sing."

This is my worst problem, I feel.

Is there any way to get around this?

I really think the only song he checked out was actually called "like a child" which is last on the album but 1st on the soundclick. Its supposed to be a very "spastic" song and odd timing. Cause I was driving myself nuts figuring out what he was talking about from the other songs and I was like "like a child is the only one that has a weird melody line".

But I could be wrong ....:)

• Members

I'll see what the deal is later.

Any ideas on the "knowing what notes to sing" part?

I'm not sure where to go with it. I suppose it would be easier if my band played clean notes instead of everything through dang 'ol distortion effects though right?

Its all about finding the right melody for the song. I usually start just mumbling or humming what i think i hear. Or I start playing a lead on the guitar to help me find a good melody.

Like I said that is a weird song note wise, cause its mostly "yelling"

• Members

I noticed that you said in that one song it's mostly "yelling", are you referring to the screaming type vocals of today? "secular" tunes...if you will.

I have a tendency to go into what i believe is considered a vocal fry to acheive a scream sound i'm going for, however, it is never loud enough to be heard correctly. I'm trying to figure out this problem and how to correctly scream. I have the melissa cross dvd lessons, but it doesn't really explain how to get that sound, only how to sing/scream "your" personal way without hurting the voice. Any input or ideas on that? anyone?

• Members

I noticed that you said in that one song it's mostly "yelling", are you referring to the screaming type vocals of today? "secular" tunes...if you will.

I have a tendency to go into what i believe is considered a vocal fry to acheive a scream sound i'm going for, however, it is never loud enough to be heard correctly. I'm trying to figure out this problem and how to correctly scream. I have the melissa cross dvd lessons, but it doesn't really explain how to get that sound, only how to sing/scream "your" personal way without hurting the voice. Any input or ideas on that? anyone?

No its actually fast yelling/screaming lol. You will see its very odd timing all around.

I have had so many people ask me how I scream like i do. Cause its not a quiet scream, I scream with power (very 80's). And i am able to do it without losing my voice while hitting a High C. I just open up my mouth , take a deep breath and belt that bad boy out.

I honestly believe that not everyone is meant to scream. I am not a fan of the "modern Fry scream", I can never understand any of the words.

• Members

"I honestly believe that not everyone is meant to scream. I am not a fan of the "modern Fry scream", I can never understand any of the words."

I hear that. And ya... i can't understand some of these guys lyrics either. lol

My band wants me to throw some screaming in there though... and they're pretty set in having screams. if i can't do it, maybe we can find another person who just screams good. But i don't want an ONLY screamer band.... I LOVE SINGING. Listening/and doing.

• Members

My band wants me to throw some screaming in there though... and they're pretty set in having screams. if i can't do it, maybe we can find another person who just screams good. But i don't want an ONLY screamer band.... I LOVE SINGING. Listening/and doing.

That's exactly why I declined a second audition for a killer band. They insisted on having a screamer. And it's just not my bag.

Archived