Amp question, help me out!

whosbootiestank

• Members

I moved to Italy 6 months ago and left my 400+ in the states figuring i wouldn't have anyone to jam with. Well now i found a drummer and am looking to start a band with him for the time i'm here. I'd like to get a combo amp that will give me the ability to record with a good versatile sound (for slapping, fingerstyle, and picking). On top of that i need to be able to punch through the mix and be heard, i've been out of the forum as wellas the bass world for a little while so let me hear what you guys got for me... please! thanks.

budget is $400 max.

• Members

Have you checked the used market around you? I would see what you kind find locally in shops and online before you start looking for new stuff. If you went new I would say the Ahsdown Electric Blue, the Ampeg BA115, or the Fender Bassman 100.

• Members

yeah i've looked around here, but they charge out the ass for foreign companies here. I was thinking of purchasing online and having it sent to my brother in the states, who would send it to me. therefore new would be my main option as buying used online can be a bit risky.

• Members

Originally posted by whosbootiestank

i fiddled with a fender rumble bass a tiny bit in the states and liked what little i heard from it. what is the general consensus of the new fender rumble line.

I played a Fender Rumble in the store the other week... a 2x10 I think. It was pretty nice. A vast improvement over their "Bassman" series. Still better brands out there, though.

But those "Bassman" combos are pure {censored}... IMO.

• Members

from what i've received so far i've got a toss up from the fender rumble 2x10 and the ashdown 15in. or the 12.

I would prefer the 12in ashdown, as it is lighter, smaller, 180 watts, and has some pretty good stuff to offer.. however, can the 12in speaker keep up with the wattage at high volume? I had a carvin 160 watt 15 in combo. and the speaker would {censored} itself when the volume was above 5.

• Members

from what i've received so far i've got a toss up from the fender rumble 2x10 and the ashdown 15in. or the 12.

I would prefer the 12in ashdown, as it is lighter, smaller, 180 watts, and has some pretty good stuff to offer.. however, can the 12in speaker keep up with the wattage at high volume? I had a carvin 160 watt 15 in combo. and the speaker would {censored} itself when the volume was above 5.

I've never played an Ashdown combo... so I don't know how well the 12" will hold up.

Maybe someone else has 1st hand experience... but the general consensus here is that Ashdown is one of the better brands in that price range.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by PaulyWally

I played a Fender Rumble in the store the other week... a 2x10 I think. It was pretty nice. A vast improvement over their "Bassman" series. Still better brands out there, though.

But those "Bassman" combos are pure {censored}... IMO.

The Rumble amps are the entry-level stuff. The Bassman are quite a step up from there.

Do the Rumble still have the lights flashing to the music inside the speaker port?:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

The Rumble amps are the entry-level stuff. The Bassman are quite a step up from there.

Do the Rumble still have the lights flashing to the music inside the speaker port?
:rolleyes:

I don't pay much attention to Fenfer's lines. The Rumble just happened to be the one plugged in when I was trying out basses.

Whether or not they are "supposed" to be better than the Bassmans... well... I don't know. But Bassman combos puke all over themselves at high volumes when you are playing anything under the low A.

The Rumble held up much better.

I don't know much... but I know what I hear. *shrug*

• Members

Originally posted by T. Alan Smith

Yeah, no sh*t!
:thu:

...and what about EBS, Hughes & Kettner, Trace Elliot and the like???

yeah that'd be great other than the fact of my budget. I haven't seen much markbass stuff. but i'll be sure to look for it next time i go to the music shops..

• Members

yeah that'd be great other than the fact of my budget. I haven't seen much markbass stuff. but i'll be sure to look for it next time i go to the music shops..

Don't be in a hurry then.. Find a rental outfit 'til you can afford the right tool for the job.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by PaulyWally

I don't pay much attention to Fenfer's lines. The Rumble just happened to be the one plugged in when I was trying out basses.

Whether or not they are "supposed" to be better than the Bassmans... well... I don't know. But Bassman combos puke all over themselves at high volumes when you are playing anything under the low A.

The Rumble held up much better.

I don't know much... but I know what I hear. *shrug*

Oh I wasn't commenting on the quality of either line, only how Fender prices them. Personally, I haven't tried the latest incarnation of the Bassman, but have tried all of the Rumble and was unimpressed. I do like the older Bassman 25 and thing it was a pretty good practice amp. But they were all overpriced.

Archived