drumcomputers?

sg-z

• Members

I would like to play along with some drumbeats,... but I don't have any clue where to start. Which do you use?

Now I found two products in my price range

-alesis sr 16

-yamaha clickstation CLST 100

anyone experience with these?

I'm really new to these products, so maybe I gonna ask some stupid questions, anyway here I go,

can they do different timings, like 7/8, 5/4,...?

MIDI, what's the use?

• Members

I picked up a Zoom MRT3,
, for $95 + tax locally. They're about $100 new on a lot of web stores. I'm pretty happy with it as a starter unit. It's got a lot of capability.

I don't know a {censored} about this, so maybe a stupid question...

-can you play in any timing you want, eg. 7/8 ? So you can put it together yourself, right?

• Members

-can you play in any timing you want, eg. 7/8 ? So you can put it together yourself, right?

the alesis can do odd-meter, but its a little tricky and sometimes you have to compromise.

• Members

Are those outputs I see on top? 8 instruments, each with their own, I assume?

That looks very tasty. Having something like that would probably break me of the habit of sequencing
everything
, and actually play some music some day... what a concept.

Hey Steve!

The Machine Drum is very cool. I think the machine has quite a bit of polyphony actually. You can just assign different instruments to different outputs if you want. What you see on the top is two main outputs, four other auxiliary outs, and two inputs. (Also a headphone jack.) This is king of the drum machines. I'll have one sequencing my drums eventually... :)

• Members
Hey Steve!

The Machine Drum is very cool. I think the machine has quite a bit of polyphony actually. You can just assign different instruments to different outputs if you want. What you see on the top is two main outputs, four other auxiliary outs, and two inputs. (Also a headphone jack.) This is king of the drum machines. I'll have one sequencing my drums eventually...
:)

The only thing more industrial would be machines playing the drums for you. :DHey, did you ever make use of the webspace? I haven't thought of it in a while, so I haven't even looked! :D

• Members

Eh. Not yet. I've been too distracted to learn how to upload stuff... My band broke up recently and its been kind of a bummer. But I definitely need to. I've got plenty of my own stuff to upload. :o

Speaking of industrial, I just recently found an old mix of me covering a reprogrammed, full on karaoke style remix of Ministry's Land of Rape and Honey.

I could scare some people by uploading that! :freak::D

• Members

There's a lot you can do. First, it comes with 50 drum kits pre-programmed, and you can add or make up 20 more, from about 100 'instruments' from about 15 categories. Next, it comes with 4 banks of 99 pre-programmed patterns, and has a 5th bank of 99 for the user to make up his own patterns. Patterns can be one to several measures long, and the measures can have 2 to 8 beats, so odd times are possible. Once you have the kits and patterns, it comes pre-programmed with one demo song, and has room for you to make up to 99 more songs, from placing patterns together in a row. (Patterns and songs are limited by size of available memory, but they don't say how much memory that is.)

Additional features is the ability to assign tempos, and to modify this to a swing-beat tempo; to record in conjunction with a MIDI system and clocking; set a song to run entirely from one kit even if it was recorded from patterns with many kits; and a few other goodies like remote start via a pedal.

I play it through my Roland Bass Cube 30 while playing my bass through the regular rig. Works well! One hint: Program in lead-in counting measures to help catch onto the groove.

• Members

Hell Karl, for 99 bucks you should have gotten the B-2, it has drums, bass effects, cab emulators, etc.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1855&brandID=4

edit: to add to that, the drum section is customizable to a certain extent, it's not a full blown dedicated drum station.

Maybe next time, fran...

It was a little more bass effect and less drum than I was looking for. But then again, in a year that could be just what I want. :D

• Members

Eh. Not yet. I've been too distracted to learn how to upload stuff... My band broke up recently and its been kind of a bummer. But I definitely need to. I've got plenty of my own stuff to upload.
:o

Speaking of industrial, I just recently found an old mix of me covering a reprogrammed, full on karaoke style remix of Ministry's Land of Rape and Honey.

I could scare some people by uploading that!
:freak::D

Do you need any help, or additional info?

You totally need to upload that! I'd love to hear it! which is really saying something, since I don't rememeber ever listening to almost anything posted here! (except greenshag's tunes, I think)

• Members
Eh. Not yet. I've been too distracted to learn how to upload stuff... My band broke up recently and its been kind of a bummer. But I definitely need to. I've got plenty of my own stuff to upload.
:o

I could scare some people by uploading that!
:freak::D

I'd like to hear that as well...Ministry is one of my favorite...

• Members

I had the Alesis SR-16 for a little while.

Things I liked:

1. Portability

2. Controls easy to use

3. Good sound when amplified

4. Hook up pedals to control some things with your feet.

5. Durable

Things I didn't like:

1. Dated

2. Pre-programmed drum loops really stink

3. When you're used to good software on computers, programming the unit very clumsy.

4. No USB interface

I always wanted one of these units, and when I got it it just wasn't what I thought it would be. I longed for an easier and more up to date interface. For practicing I'd go with software on a computer. For performances, there has to be something out there that allows you to program your stuff on a computer and download it to a unit.

Archived