People in/around Minneapolis, MN...

Phantasm

• Members

It has been quite cold here lately, although during the day it isn't too bad. Of course, my entire 23 years of existence have been in this area, so I have gotten used to the cold. That being said . . . warm coat, stocking cap, gloves, scarf . . . you should get by. Do you know what part of the cities you will be in? I can recommend a couple of decent places to drink/check out bands/whatever.

• Members

It's a bit chilly right now but overall the Twin Cities area is just like the rest of the midwest in terms of weather. It was -12 when I went to work this morning (don't know what the windchill was) but I think it got to 2 degrees this afternoon. It's right about at the turning point where the weather stops being just "cold" and starts being "so cold it hurts." Just dress in layers and have as little exposed skin as possible.

• Members

It has been quite cold here lately, although during the day it isn't too bad. Of course, my entire 23 years of existence have been in this area, so I have gotten used to the cold. That being said . . . warm coat, stocking cap, gloves, scarf . . . you should get by. Do you know what part of the cities you will be in? I can recommend a couple of decent places to drink/check out bands/whatever.

I'm going to be on campus at the university. I'm always up for suggestions but it may be to friggin COLD for me to go anywhere!

I just got back from shopping and I couldn't find any long johns, no gloves over size small, and no sweaters above a medium. And all that stuff is on 50-75% off clearance because nobody bought it! I think I have a pair of gloves around here somewhere, and I had a scarf when I was in high school that might have been packed in a closet somewhere...

• Members

Well, I"m here... It's pretty darn cold but not as incredibly ridiculously cold as I expected. I've also been lucky that I really don't have to go outside much.

I did go outside and scoop up a handful of snow. It was really soft.

• Members

I've never had any problems on the light rail. Just don't try and get a free ride. It seems like you can just get on without grabbing a ticket when you first go up to it, but they have people checking tickets pretty randomly, and you don't want to be caught without one, the fine is ridiculously high.

• Members

Ok, I just got back and it was easy enough. They did actually check for tickets on the way back, we were wondering for a while though because it seemed like nobody was checking.

So far everyone here has been very nice and pleasant, looks like this is a pretty nifty place. The shuttle driver told us he could make some suggestions if we wanted to go someplace neater than the mall, so we might just do that tomorrow. Maybe we'll find a sports bar thingy nearby to check out the Pro Bowl.

I bought a hat and some gloves at the mall and it made things easier. I have been surprised though that just my leather jacket is cutting out the cold pretty well. And I still can't get enough of this snow, it's strange actually seeing it. I bet that would wear off pretty fast if I lived here, though!

Archived