SX Jazz bass hummmmm. Help?

KeysBear

• Members

A few months back I bought an SX Jazz bass and put it aside while I was into other projects. Yesterday I plugged it in to play and found out it has a loud hum pretty much across all frequencies. No, it' not the instrument cable or amp since everything sounds fine with my Yamaha bass and another guitar.

Yeah, I know you get what you pay for but has anyone else had a hum problem with these basses and is there anything I should check or replace first? I did a search on the problem and found a zillion threads that talk about SX, bass, and hum, but so far nothing addresses the problem. Thanks

• Members

Single coil pickups... they hum... get used to it.

However... the PUPs in SX's are going to naturally pick up more interference. Their crappy pots/electrical might pick up some interference too. My main question is, how much hum do you get when you have both PUP's turned all the way up?

Unless there are outside factors (your house's electrical... power lines... cell sites... radio towers) a jazz bass shouldn't really hum much (if any at all) with both PUPs turned up.

• Members

If the hum doesn't diminish with both volumes all the way up, you may have a grounding problem. First place to check for that is in the control cavity to see if wires are intact and connected, then check underneath the bridge.

I can't say for sure if SX does this but on a Fender theres a ground wire that just gets "mashed" inbetween the body and the underside of the bridge. This can lose contact by being mashed/pressed too deep into the wood; the fix for it (if the wire has a good connection in the control cavity) is to just move the wire over so it rests on a fresh part of the body. You'll have to do the mashing by screwing the bridge back down.

• Members

If the hum doesn't diminish with both volumes all the way up, you may have a grounding problem. First place to check for that is in the control cavity to see if wires are intact and connected, then check underneath the bridge.

I can't say for sure if SX does this but on a Fender theres a ground wire that just gets "mashed" inbetween the body and the underside of the bridge. This can lose contact by being mashed/pressed too deep into the wood; the fix for it (if the wire has a good connection in the control cavity) is to just move the wire over so it rests on a fresh part of the body. You'll have to do the mashing by screwing the bridge back down.

Very good suggestion. You stole my post though.....

Archived