OT: Drills?

bassplayer7770

• Members

I know there are some knowledgable folks here, so I was wondering if I could get some feedback regarding drills. I currently have a cordless Workbench Pro that I bought at Kmart, and it's a POS. I'd be willing to spend up to about $70 for a corded drill. I mostly need it for odd jobs around the house (including installing straplocks, etc.). Here are some candidates.

Hitachi at Lowe's

RIDGID at Home Depot

DeWalt at Home Depot

Should I also consider a Craftsman?

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

• Members

I have a 12v Ryobi, (POS but it's light and comfy), a 14.4v Makita and a really, really old Craftsman that has one of them cord thingy's hanging from it. The only time that I'll bust it out is when I need a ton of horsepower for an extended period of time. I've got it to smell and smoke on many occasions but it still steps up and tackles any job that I ask of it. :thu:

BTW, when I do anything on my basses, I'll grab one of the cordless ones

• Members

I have a 12v Ryobi, (POS but it's light and comfy), a 14.4v Makita and a really, really old Craftsman that has one of them cord thingy's hanging from it. The only time that I'll bust it out is when I need a ton of horsepower for an extended period of time. I've got it to smell and smoke on many occasions but it still steps up and tackles any job that I ask of it.
:thu:

BTW, when I do anything on my basses, I'll grab one of the cordless ones

sounds just like me minus the makita. the craftsman will drill through anything

• Members

So, assuming all the drills I linked feel okay, you think any of them would work well?

Sounds like for your needs, yes.;)

I've got a Dewalt corded drill that works fine. I've got a Ridgid cordless that is actually very nice. Also a Bosch 1/2" Hammer drill but that may be more than you need.

Emprov, I've gotten alot of mileage out of a couple Ryobi cordless drills in the past. The only problem with them is, it's cheaper to toss them than replace the batteries when they die.;)

• Members

I'm not opposed to a cordless drill as long as it's something reliable. Are there any cordless drills within my stated budget that you'd recommend?

The Ryobi and B&D drills right around $70 are decent for light duty work.

The 12 volt Hitachi that is available at Lowes for $80 is a quality unit. Consumer reports seems to like hte Hitachi cordless drills.

• Members

Check out the chuck and key on the drills. Make sure they engage smoothly and can be tightened and loosened easily.

I bought a cheaper variable speed corded drill from Canadian Tire and the chuck drives me nuts. It jams when tightening and then works loose half the time. To buy a new chuck is almost as much as the drill cost new.

• Members

Consumer reports seems to like hte Hitachi cordless drills.

How often do batteries need replaced, and how much are they? For the same money, how do features and power compare between corded and cordless drills?

• Members

I know there are some knowledgable folks here, so I was wondering if I could get some feedback regarding drills. I currently have a cordless Workbench Pro that I bought at Kmart, and it's a POS. I'd be willing to spend up to about $70 for a corded drill. I mostly need it for odd jobs around the house (including installing straplocks, etc.). Here are some candidates.

Should I also consider a Craftsman?

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

This Milwaukee is much better than any of those.

• Members

If you are getting a drill with a cord, you might consider getting one with a 1/2" chuck, so you can use a big bit. IMHO, if you will never need a large capacity chuck, you might as well get a battery powered drill. I have had a 9.6 volt Makita for over 15 years, and a lot of use (remodeled my whole house), and it's never been serviced. I'm on my 3rd set of batteries. I use it for 98% of my drilling. Cordless drills are so much more convenient that they are well worth the higher initial cost. And buy a couple spare batteries. Otherwise, get a Milwaukee 1/2" drill. I could drill through an Abrams tank with that thing.

• Members

How often do batteries need replaced, and how much are they? For the same money, how do features and power compare between corded and cordless drills?

I've had an 18 volt dewalt for over 8 years. I recently had one of the batteries fail.

For most jobs that you'll be doing, the 12 volt hitachi will be fine. Cordless drills are easier to handle and control, that makes up for the difference in power.

• Members

Emphasis on "light duty". As in, battery life sucks as does the torque. If you're looking for something to build a deck with, definitely don't do a Ryobi. But, if you're looking for something to drive the occasional screw or drill a hole every now and then, a 12v Ryobi may be just what you're looking for. Mine's actually pretty comfortable to work with, and it's pretty light. Building a deck with it though was what convinced me to spend the cash on my Makita.

• Members

1. My stated budget is important. I can't really justify spending more on a drill.

2. I would like sufficient power in case I (or anybody I know who might help me work on my house) ever do need it.

3. I need a drill with a Forward/Reverse switch (do all drills work in reverse?).

4. Variable speed is also important, but it looks like most drills have that feature.

5. I really don't mind plugging in as long as I have a good, reliable, and sufficiently powerful drill.

• Members

1. My stated budget is important. I can't really justify spending more on a drill.

2. I would like sufficient power in case I (or anybody I know who might help me work on my house) ever do need it.

3. I need a drill with a Forward/Reverse switch (do all drills work in reverse as well?).

4. Variable speed is also important, but it looks like most drills have that feature.

5. I really don't mind plugging in as long as I have a good, reliable, and sufficiently powerful drill.

The 12 volt Hitachi cordless will meet your needs. Otherwise, you cannot go wrong wiht a $50+ corded drill, as I said.

Archived