Compression

Kentrel

• Members

I've never heard of compression in the context of "compressing" the voice or vocal chords before.

Obviously these videos don't explain it fully as they're designed to sell a product. The example singers are really good, and it reminds me of what a lot of modern singers seem to be doing to put a lot of emotion into their songs. Its a bit of a cliche maybe, but it sounds great and I'd like to learn more about it.

Can anyone explain it to me what exactly this compression is, does it really do what they say, and what kind of exercises are good to develop this.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKF01OlYdZw&hl=en&fs=1&">[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

my vocal teacher always talked about compression - not in terms of the effect used on instruments or mixes, but the act of kind of filling your lungs and then tightening up your diaphragm, the result being that you then have good control over how much breath you're using. think of it kind of like bagpipes - you fill up the air and then apply steady pressure (more or less depending on what note you're going for.) it kind of feels like tensing up as if somebody were to punch you in the gut. generally you want less compression and more airflow for lower notes, and more compression but less air coming out as you get up high in your range.

• Members

my vocal teacher always talked about compression - not in terms of the effect used on instruments or mixes, but the act of kind of filling your lungs and then tightening up your diaphragm, the result being that you then have good control over how much breath you're using. think of it kind of like bagpipes - you fill up the air and then apply steady pressure (more or less depending on what note you're going for.) it kind of feels like tensing up as if somebody were to punch you in the gut. generally you want less compression and more airflow for lower notes, and more compression but less air coming out as you get up high in your range.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showpost.php?p=35450411&postcount=2

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showpost.php?p=35345544&postcount=6

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showpost.php?p=34554485&postcount=4

Yep, same principle. :thu:

• Members

I'm very intrigued by this discussion. Keeping that steady consistent minimal release of air has been a challenge for me, but I'm making some progress. And I understand the sense in which this is rightly called compression. So far, so good.

But in the Singing Success videos in the original post, both Dave Brooks and Brett Manning refer to a squeezing or tightening of muscles on the sides of the vocal folds. Seems like the evil tension, no?

But in fact the steady, full tone exemplified especially in the first video is exactly what keeps eluding me! Not that I'm looking for that R'n'B style; what I'm really after is the tonal consistency of the notes. To my ears my tone is compromised because the balance between the primary note and the overtones is off. The overtones may be too loud or wayward--it's hard to tell. But the thing that the Singing Success version of compression seems to promise is that clear, focused tone where the primary note and the vocal overtones are pleasantly blended.

In the second video, Manning simply refers to this form of compresson without attempting to teach it. The first video, however, never reveals the technique because an edit occurs right after Brooks starts his explanation :mad:--all we get is the exemplification of compression in the woman's vocals. Does anyone know (or can anyone surmise) the technique that has been cut out?

I've never been more tempted to spring for Manning's course!

• Members

the thing is, compression refers to tension in the diaphragm, which is the muscle underneath your lungs that causes them to inflate or deflate. the 'evil tension' you refer to is tension anywhere in your throat, jaw, or basically anything from the neck up. you want relaxation and no tension in your throat and head, but below your lungs you want some tightness. when you breathe in, think of filling your lungs as quickly as possible like you're about to dive underwater while simultaneously tensing your gut as if you're preparing for a punch. leave everything above that relaxed though. this should become your standard procedure for intake of air when you're singing.

i'm not a vocal teacher by any means, so if somebody more qualified can be more specific, please jump in here

• Members

Does anyone know (or can anyone surmise) the technique that has been cut out?

I've never been more tempted to spring for Manning's course!

I have Singing Success and its not directly covered there. As far as I know its part of his online video course and you have to pay to see the rest of the explanation

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don’t think I know quite how to do this…or else I think I’m complicating it more than necessary when singing.

When screaming (not in any way singing, but just screaming like in a horror movie, lol), I can scream for a really long time, just strong, really loud (without any discomfort), high pitched vocal tone, and only right at the end when I’m running out of air, do I start to notice myself letting some air out…when I was younger my friends and I would have screaming competitions and I always kept going way longer than everyone else. Lol. One time we had a candle in front of us and mine didn’t even waver until right at the end. So I guess this is how you do it, in an extreme “screaming” way, but how can I do it when singing? I just don’t know.

• Members

even the mention of the arytenoid muscle was helpful. I've had a lot of tension there recently and wondering what was going on....

But that's the thing: Brooks is saying that we should tense the arytenoid muscle--which seems to fly in the face of common wisdom--as outlined above by Raskolnikovs axe (who gets my vote for the scariest user name :eek:)

• Members

But that's the thing: Brooks is saying that we should
tense
the arytenoid muscle--which seems to fly in the face of common wisdom--as outlined above by
Raskolnikovs axe
(who gets my vote for the scariest user name
:eek:
)

Haha yes it is a great username! :thu:

Nah Jack I'm referring to the tension surrounding my larynx. Not pain or discomfort directly on the vocal folds, but tension around the base of my neck, at the front. It feels like the muscles that pull and hold the adam's apple down, and stop the urge to "swallow" a note.

It's Thursday morning, I sung for an hour on Mon & Tues at home, and I still have tension. To me, I think I've really been working on my technique and opening up, and these muscles are simply waking up.

Well, I hope that's all it is.

Archived