Motorcycle riders: help a brother out!

venturawest

• Members

so as you'll recall, about a month ago i started a thread about buying my first motorcycle.

this weekend i took the MSF beginning rider course. passed it with flying colours - 100% on the written, only about 5 points on the practical (damn, those u-turns are difficult).

my question for y'all is this: NOW WHAT? i'm afraid if i don't get a motorcycle soon, i'll lose the skills i've learned. however, while they taught us a ton in a 20 hour course, there's nothing from this weekend that taught me things like, oh, actually making a turn in an intersection, dealing with traffic, or what it's like to actually ride in the street with *cars* around...

i was thinking of just tooling around my lovely residential neighbourhood, practicing street turns and whatnot on the back streets where there's little traffic. any advice on how to proceed next? and i've decided i'm much more comfortable on a cruiser-type bike, and i'm thinking of getting a used harley. any thoughts or recommendations?

as always, thanks gang!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do you have to get a motorcycle license where you are at? Tooling around on quiet back roads is a good idea. If you have to take a riding test for your license, you may want to simulate the setup in a parking lot somewhere and practice there. I know the test in Illinois, while totally useless for real world riding is a bitch to try and do on a big cruiser type bike. You may want to borrow a smaller standard if you have to do a similar riding test.

• Members

Nothing will do more for your comfort level then riding experience. The very best way to start is riding with a group. Go to a local shop and talk with the guys. They usually have organized rides each month and you can hook up with a group from there. Hang towards the back of the pack and watch the other guys.

Let me also say.... nothing will kill you quicker then a motorcycle. I started riding motocross at 10 years old and got my first street bike when I was 17 (I am 35 now). Over the last 10 years, 6 of my friends have been killed on bikes. In every case, they were riding with a group of idiots and riding beyond their abilities.

The point is, the people you choose to ride with play a big role in safety and comfort. Even the strongest-willed of us get sucked in to stupid situations when riding with a group. If you don't feel comfortable with the group... go home.

Ride Safe!

• Members

Nothing will do more for your comfort level then riding experience. The very best way to start is riding with a group. Go to a local shop and talk with the guys. They usually have organized rides each month and you can hook up with a group from there. Hang towards the back of the pack and watch the other guys.

Let me also say.... nothing will kill you quicker then a motorcycle. I started riding motocross at 10 years old and got my first street bike when I was 17 (I am 35 now). Over the last 10 years, 6 of my friends have been killed on bikes. In every case, they were riding with a group of idiots and riding beyond their abilities.

The point is, the people you choose to ride with play a big role in safety and comfort. Even the strongest-willed of us get sucked in to stupid situations when riding with a group. If you don't feel comfortable with the group... go home.

Ride Safe!

All the more reason to get a BMW.

I've gone on organized rides with every group. The sport bike guys are insane, the harley guys even do stupid {censored}, but the BMW crowd puts safety ahead of everything. They put the tour leader at the front with another experienced rider, the new riders go behind them and the more experienced guys bring up the rear. This way the pack moves at a speed that is comfortable for the newer riders and if they happen to stumble, everyone behind them will be more likely to have the skill to stop or get out of the way.

• Members

Comfort? Check out the Kawasaki Vulcan series (anywhere from 800cc - 2000cc). There are good bikes of every make and model, but only the Harley will have that Harley sound. But, they are notorious for being uncomfortable.

I would suggest, also, that you buy used - at least 500cc or higher. After a year or so, trade it in and you shouldn't lose much money in the trades. Buy new and trade it in a year later, and it's like a car - you are still upside down!

You have the right idea. Putting around the neighborhood, making turns and stops, shifting and downshifting and braking. The ocassional car will come by and make it interesting. After a couple of weeks, find a street just a little busier with traffice - nothing too dramatic! Something longer, fewer turns and stops, and a few more cars. After a few more weeks of building your confidence and skills, find a busier street.......... Most important - Take it on your own terms. If it takes you longer than others to progress and have the confidence, then it just takes you longer. So be it. Don't take any road with traffic until you feel that you have the ability and comfort to take it. Don't fight it - just go with your feelings.

NV24450_1.jpg

Mine. Kawa Vulcan 900 LT.

Have fun , but don't rush it.

EDIT: Ignore the upcoming jokes and comments about H-D riders. Two of my best riding friends have Harley's, and I love 'em like brothers. Some wave, some don't. Some will make negative comments about a rice-burner, some will make positive comments. People are people. Some good, some not. Find some careful riders and ride with them.

• Members

I dislike group rides. You end up paying more attention to the guy right in front of you or the guy behind you. You have people of mixed skills and the entire group skill level is then lowered to the point of you're nothing more than a bunch of riders clogging up traffic.

Having said that, the BMW guys are better than a group of Hardley riders trying to ride side-by-side at 15 miles under the limit.

Any nothing will get you killed quicked than a lack of skills and experience on a bike that's way too much for you at this point - regardless of the brand.

My suggestion would be to revist the other suggestions.

Remember - ATGATT - all the gear, all the time - wear what you'd like to be wearing as you slide down the asphalt.

• Members

The absolute best cruiser bike for your money is a Suzuki M50. 6800 otd new for an 805cc fuel injected monster with a driveshaft (no chain to grease or change) and all that hot stuff.

When I decided to get a bike I decided I wanted: No chain, fuel injection, and comfort, and enough power to keep me happy for a while and also not be crazy scary. It's got all of these things, and I would say is without a doubt the perfect beginner cruiser.

Check it out. I got mine for 5 grand used, one year old with 2700 miles :)

• Members

Also, this'll sound gay, but when I first started driving on the streets my wife followed me around in the car and kept people from tailgating me. It made me a million times more comfortable not having some jackhole breathing down my neck every time I was slow to accelerate or didn't go fast enough.

Riding with people is a good idea if your friends are safe. My friends took me on my first freeway ride after I'd been riding a week and insisted we go 85 the whole way in heavy traffic, and frankly I almost wet myself when I got off the bike.

• Members

Ride Safe!

Alot of good advice right there...

- georgestrings

• Members

If you're even considering a Harley, going used is the ONLY way, IMO - try to find one from an individual that has less than 25k miles on it, and is less than 10 years old - unless you know and trust someone who knows Harleys to help you look for one... I've been around Harleys my whole life - have probably built over 50 of them, and have ridden one in 27 states - and IMO, new Harleys are a rip-off... buy used, and let someone else take the depreciation hit...

If you're a pretty good sized guy, I don't see why you couldn't handle something in a Superglide, Lowrider, Softtail, Dyna or Dynawideglide class of motorcycle - the bigger bikes(Roadking, Fatboy, Heritage Softail, Electraglides, etc..) are great bikes, but are heavire, and don't offer as good of turning radius as the "sportier" Harleys...

- georgestrings

• Members

Never heard that one before - in fact, Harleys are probably the most comfortable bikes to ride there is...

- georgestrings

The only bike I've ever ridden that caused my hands and forearms to literaly go numb was a brand new Road King. All the damn vibrations caused that. Plus any bike that places your feet in front of the vertical from the seat down places the majority of support directly into your back, and that leads to fatigue faster than anything else. Love Harley's if you want but they are far from the most comfortable. Maybe the ones with floorboards under the seat, but they still have the bar vibrations and I will never ride one of those again. Still have to try a Vrod, but I can't stand the forward pegs from the comfort standpoint. In terms of pure rider comfort, and nothing else, the best bike ever is a Honda Goldwing. Not for everyone's taste but they are as comfy as is possible for a two wheeled machine.

• Members

Congrats on passing the course--it's probably one of the best things I've ever done to make me a more competent confident rider.

Most of the suggestions above are quite sound especially the one about ATGATT. Asphalt is not forgiving. Also, the recommendation to get a smaller/learner bike is a great idea. That way you can get comfortable with the feel of the bike--how far you can lean, braking and braking distances, turns, etc. Then when you make you move to a bigger bike, you've got some idea of what to expect.

I've attached a couple of pics of my brother and I--I think they're from our trip to Big Bend National Park in TX. We did 3,100 miles in 10 days. He rides a Suzuki VStrom, and I've got a Kawasaki Concours.

• Members

When I started, I put a lot of effort into parking lot riding at first. Start-stop, slow speed maneuvers, that sort of thing. Then I did a lot of back roads stuff. And I would always practice quick braking and evasive maneuvers. I just wanted to be prepared.

+1

Once a week at minimum I'd go to an empty parking lot to do panic stops. Don't be afraid of your front brake!

• Members

The only bike I've ever ridden that caused my hands and forearms to literaly go numb was a brand new Road King. All the damn vibrations caused that. Plus any bike that places your feet in front of the vertical from the seat down places the majority of support directly into your back, and that leads to fatigue faster than anything else. Love Harley's if you want but they are far from the most comfortable. Maybe the ones with floorboards under the seat, but they still have the bar vibrations and I will never ride one of those again. Still have to try a Vrod, but I can't stand the forward pegs from the comfort standpoint. In terms of pure rider comfort, and nothing else, the best bike ever is a Honda Goldwing. Not for everyone's taste but they are as comfy as is possible for a two wheeled machine.

That would be your opinion - personally, I prefer having my feet out in front - it's kinda like sitting in a recliner... Granted, a fair amount of Harleys *can* give a bit of handlebar vibration, but that's easily curable...

I understand that you don't like Harleys, but you don't have to make up bull{censored} like they're "uncomfortable"...

- georgestrings

• Members

+1

Once a week at minimum I'd go to an empty parking lot to do panic stops. Don't be afraid of your front brake!

While taking this advice, understand that causing a front wheel skid is a damn good way to fall down and go boom... Sure, atleast 75% of your braking force is up front, but if that front wheel starts to slide, you're bumming...

- georgestrings

• Members

While taking this advice, understand that causing a front wheel skid is a damn good way to fall down and go boom... Sure, atleast 75% of your braking force is up front, but if that front wheel starts to slide, you're bumming...

- georgestrings

It's far better to test the bike's limits in a controlled environment than to not be able to react appropriately when an emergency stop is needed.

Most guys that I have seen dump bikes, including me, have done so because they panicked and grabbed too much front brake. It's good to know what the bike can and cannot do before you need to know.

• Members

It's far better to test the bike's limits in a controlled environment than to not be able to react appropriately when an emergency stop is needed.

Most guys that I have seen dump bikes, including me, have done so because they panicked and grabbed too much front brake. It's good to know what the bike can and cannot do before you need to know.

Agreed - I just figured maybe I'd save him some bumps and bruises in the process...

- georgestrings

• Members

Agreed - I just figured maybe I'd save him some bumps and bruises in the process...

- georgestrings

Yeppers. That's why it is wise to work up to skidding the front tire to know how much you can give it.

It's impossible for me to lock up the front tire on my bike, but I've spent plenty of time trying. ;)

• Members

That is how I wrecked my 1 and only time.... last Feb. I was selling my '04 R6 and the guy was on his way over. It hadn't been run for a few months so I figured I would take it out for a quick spin.

Short Story: New Tires + 34 degrees = Washout on first turn.

You should have seen the guys face when he arrived to find his "Mint condition R6" torn up and covered with grass and dirt.

sigh.

Archived