more stuff to teach a beginner?

brake

• Members

Have her bring (or buy) a metronome, and concentrate on the little things....like making sure her left and right hands can play on beat.

One thing my teacher taught me, play all the drills slower than you want to. It is harder to play slowly and with note duration than most players think, but pretty important. Even the fastest players will have a hard time playing through scales/modes/exercises if you give them a metronome and set it to around 60 BPM or slower.

(If you can't play it perfectly at that speed, playing it faster only covers up your mistakes ((not bad notes, bad duration, tone, etc.)) ).

:blah: :blah: :blah: Okay, stepping off the soapbox now...

• Members

When I first started the Mel Bay bored the {censored} out of me. But figuring out songs I like made me want to practice. I started with the whole first RATM record. Find out what she likes or introduce her to some stuff that might be up her alley. Why did she start in the first place? Maybe that would give you some clues.

Yo.

• Members

When I first started the Mel Bay bored the {censored} out of me. But figuring out songs I like made me want to practice. I started with the whole first RATM record. Find out what she likes or introduce her to some stuff that might be up her alley. Why did she start in the first place? Maybe that would give you some clues.

Yo.

Yeah, the first RATM record was the first (and only) record I learned note for note....almost all the bass lines are played on the first five frets, there is some basic slapping, some 'drop D' tunes, and even some diatonic and chordal work. The best part is the bass is mixed up front, so you can clearly hear everything he does.

Some parts are over a beginners head, many songs are right up their alley.

• Members

Teach her how to use Photoshop and how to join HCBF :D

..on a serious note: somethings I used to do as part of my teaching syllabus (besides theory, techniques, chord construction, yadda yadda) was

1. Introduction to effects processors/pedals - each type of effect and what they do (can actually cover a few days)

2. Flash Card style bass clef reading drills

3. Ear training-- Pick out things and find the key ( car horn, air conditioner hum, etc)

4. Space - rests ARE notes

5. basic soldering and basic bench electronics ( pots, capacitors, resistors, etc)

I hope any of this is helpful

• Members

I spent most of today's lesson going over the role of the bass in most music, showed her a video of Roxanne, and explained how basic syncopation works. Showed her a video of Vic Wooten doing a solo to show how differently the bass can be played.

• Members

keep the thumb on the back of the neck...for all time

finger a fret

modes

rhythm patterns

time signatures

dynamics and phrasing

key signatures

scales..starting with the pentatonic and showing how it is a primary scale in a lot of musical compositions

fret position names

practical stringing and set up procedures

*** when i taught elementary clarinet the first thing i noticed on students instruments were...badly fitted reed/poor reed and the top and bottom sections not correctly lined up...so you get squawks... for bass i feel set up and tuning are most important to do before anything else and are part of the learning as well..

Archived