Need a 210 cab at 4ohms?

lowndown

• Members

Do you think the Peavey would be a good companion for a Markbass 250 head? Running 250W into a 175W cab spells danger to me???

if the markbass is rated at 250 watts, you *should* be ok with a 175 watt cab, as the amp won't produce all 250 watts until full volume (i think). i've run 1200 watts of amp into 600 watts of cabinet before, at pretty high volumes, with no troubles.

YMMV

• Members

I'm thinking of a similar setup- Markbass 250w head plus a 2x10. However, I'm not sure whether to get a single 4-ohm cab that can handle the whole output (a sort of mini-stack), or to get an 8-ohm 2x10 that would only receive about 180w, and would later be paired with a 1x15 8-ohm, to create a more conventional 250w stack.

Maybe I should buy three cabs!

Are these wee Marbass heads all that good? They cost nearly half as much again as cheaper competitors, e.g. Ashdown Mag-300, Hartke 2500, etc.

• Members

+1 on the Peavey. The only downside is that it is very heavy.

31854.jpg

This Carvin Redeye is also AWESOME! I played it last week and was blown away by how good it sounds. It's also the lightest 210 cabinet I have ever picked up. They are VERY cheap as well.

• Members

These Peavey 210TVX cabs.... how much low-end do you get with them? I'm seriously considering the same rig as the OP of this thread, i.e. a MarkBass 250 with a 210TVX 4-ohm cab. No room to upgrade with bigger cones in future, due to impedance, so this would be my full rig. We play standard covers sets, mostly modern rock/indie stuff, in small to medium sized venues, which in the past I've been heard with using a 150w 1x15" Carlsbro.

I just love the thought of a 2x10 sitting on one end, with the MarkBass sat on top... a perfect little mini stack!

• Members

These Peavey 210TVX cabs.... how much low-end do you get with them? I'm seriously considering the same rig as the OP of this thread, i.e. a MarkBass 250 with a 210TVX 4-ohm cab. No room to upgrade with bigger cones in future, due to impedance, so this would be my full rig. We play standard covers sets, mostly modern rock/indie stuff, in small to medium sized venues, which in the past I've been heard with using a 150w 1x15" Carlsbro.

I just love the thought of a 2x10 sitting on one end, with the MarkBass sat on top... a perfect little mini stack!

I was satisfied with the low end I got out of my Peavey 210TX cab. This was back in the 90s. Peavey was just starting their turn around. The 210TX kicked the sh*t out of comparable Hartke, GK & ADA cabs. Only the Eden was nicer.

• Members

+1 on the Peavey. The only downside is that it is very heavy.

31854.jpg

This Carvin Redeye is also AWESOME! I played it last week and was blown away by how good it sounds. It's also the lightest 210 cabinet I have ever picked up. They are VERY cheap as well.

Meh, I had one of those for a while. I was never happy with the tone of it, and it got kind of farty with low B's. Seemed to have a 'hollow' quality to the tone that I just didn't like. I gave it away and replaced it with an Avatar 210 Neo cab. That was an inprovement on ever level over the Carvin, but I didn't keep that one either.:cool:

• Members

Are these wee Marbass heads all that good? They cost nearly half as much again as cheaper competitors, e.g. Ashdown Mag-300, Hartke 2500, etc.

I haven't tried the 250W Markbass.

The Little Mark II 500W head kicks major ass!:thu:

I've played it through the Markbass 121 (single 12"), 102 (double 10") cabs, and the Avatar B210 Neo 4 ohm. I like the sound of the Avatar better, although it is bigger and heavier. OTOH, better B string tone and lower price.

I'm thinking about making a series box so I can drive two 4 ohms cabs at a time.

• Members

The speakers, cabinets, features, everything is way better than the old cabs. Dig the handle, built-in wheels and Ampeg-like port at the bottom (like the HLF). 600w power handling, built to handle the low-B. No carpet either, I hate carpet because it gets all smokey smellin. :thu:

• Members

I haven't tried the 250W Markbass.

The Little Mark II 500W head kicks major ass!
:thu:

I've played it through the Markbass 121 (single 12"), 102 (double 10") cabs, and the Avatar B210 Neo 4 ohm. I like the sound of the Avatar better, although it is bigger and heavier. OTOH, better B string tone and lower price.

I'm thinking about making a series box so I can drive two 4 ohms cabs at a time.

I'm glad you said that because I want to buy the newer version of the Little Mark II head but didn't want to spend all that money on Markbass cabs. I want to buy two orange or blond Avatar cabs, a 1x12 NEO and a 2x12 NEO, and drop the Markbass head on top. Should sound sweet, eh? Nice and light too. :wave:

Archived