I just got an SX short-scale...now what?

DammitJanet

• Members

I got a Quarter Pounder to replace the stock pickup with. There seems to be some buzzing in the headstock area when I play on the thinner strings. Do I need to have the bass set-up and/or the strings changed?

On a cosmetic note, I'd like to put a chrome bridge cover on it, like the vintage Fenders had. Would one fit on this thing?

• Members

I got a Quarter Pounder to replace the stock pickup with. There seems to be some buzzing in the headstock area when I play on the thinner strings. Do I need to have the bass set-up and/or the strings changed?

On a cosmetic note, I'd like to put a chrome bridge cover on it, like the vintage Fenders had. Would one fit on this thing?

It depends. Are you going to replace the bridge? If so, make sure that the new bridge will still fit under the cover (if you get one). If you're planning on keeping the stock bridge, it should cover it fine.

• Members

A bridge cover would be out of proportion on that smaller body. As for the buzzing make sure the string tree is screwed down all the way.

• Moderators

The buzzing might be that the nut is filed for larger string gauges (or just improperly filed). As to setups, every instrument plays better when properly set up. If this bass is not, you should set it up. Adjust the neck relief, set the saddle height, correct the intonation, adjust the pickup height, minor fret repair, etc. If you aren't qualified to do so, decide whether you want to spend money for someone else to do it. Personally I think every musician should be able to perform all of the basic setup steps. There are plenty of resources available online if you need instructions.

Archived