Two Questions: 4x10 vs. 2x10 vs. 8x10; Tone

LoC

• Members

Okay, so I currently use an Ampeg 4x10, 2x12 and SVT-3 Pro. My tone is almost the way I want it. I need to get a second amp to complete it but aside from that I am curious about getting a certain tone. When plucking at the 24th fret as opposed to plucking in-line with a pickup, the sound is deeper and thicker (as everyone knows). However, it lacks the punch and edge of plucking by a pickup. So I am curious if there is a way to re-create the 24th fret sound while plucking in-line with a pickup to maintain my preferable place of plucking as well as the edge and brightness.

Also, I have been testing the sound differences between my cabinets (one disconnected at a time) and find that the 2x12 is actually significantly brighter on my top three strings (A D G) and, obviously, much thumpier on my bottom two (B E). I play a 5 stringer. The 4x10 has a more volume/tone even sound but actually seems less bright and punchy. Any reason? I do have a compressor.

Finally, I was contemplating buying an 8x10 and getting rid of the 4x10 and then finding another 2x12. My question is: is an 8x10 deeper, thicker, punchier and brighter than a 4x10? Will it sound more like a 2x12 but with a more distinct punch and brightness and thickness?

• CMS Author

As you should be seeing by now, you can't stereotype a tone based on the size and number of drivers in the box. Driver design, box size, shape and design all interact to give each cabinet a unique tone, which will of course also vary with the amp used, bass, player's technique etc. This is why it's so hard if not impossible to duplicate a certain player's tone. If you want to know how a certain 8x10 sounds, go try one with the rest of your rig. An Ampeg SVT-810e for example, doesn't sound like a Peavey, or a Genz, or any other 8x10. It doesn't even sound remotely like an Ampeg PR-810.

Why would you need a second amp to complete your tone? Methinks maybe you're going a bit overboard here?

• Members

Because of certain frequencies. I analyzed all of the frequencies on my amp one at a time. Adding certain low-end frequencies reduces the effectiveness of the higher ones, diminishing the overall sound and vice versa for higher frequencies to lower ones. As well, different frequencies are better for different chords on different strings on different spots on the fretboard. Overall, separating low-end and high-end speakers and amps allows for a more full, accurate sound.

• CMS Author

Because of certain frequencies. I analyzed all of the frequencies on my amp one at a time. Adding certain low-end frequencies reduces the effectiveness of the higher ones, diminishing the overall sound and vice versa for higher frequencies to lower ones. As well, different frequencies are better for different chords on different strings on different spots on the fretboard. Overall, separating low-end and high-end speakers and amps allows for a more full, accurate sound.

So what you meant to write was that you're planning to bi-amp the rig?

You need a crossover to do this right. However, there's little chance that many chords will find the low notes played through the sub and the high ones through the mid-high.

And all of this gets lost in a band mix. You sure you're not over-analyzing all this? Sometimes you just gotta say '{censored}-it' and go play.

• Members

I'm one of those obsessive people that can pick out something wrong with him/herself. If my bass sound is not to my exact specifications I become frustrated, angered and disenchanted. By the way may you describe the crossover and how it is done and the best method, etc...?

• Members

Sorry, I apologize in advance for how I'm going to write this...I'm tired and need a little amusement...

Are you playing with a pick?

If yes: Try different gauges. I find that the thinner gauge the pick, the more trebly your tone becomes. The other side of that though, is if you use a thicker pick, you get a much meatier, almost finger-playing tone, with the sharp and bright attack. I prefer Gator Grip 2.0mm's personally.

If no: Try using one! Picks get you that "attack" you're looking for and allow you to play in your favorite spots and can sometimes even be used to make things deeper sounding too...as weird as that sounds.

How do you have your graphic EQ set up?

The Ampeg SVT3Pro's tone can change a TON depending on how you have that Graphic EQ mixed with the tone knobs and gain settings.

Which 410 cab are you using?

I have the SVT410HEN, and I find that it really isn't very bassy, but is VERY punchy and middy. The SVT410HLF on the other hand from what I've heard playing it sounds very balanced but yet bass-heavy and not as punchy. If you're running a 212 and your 410 is ported, I suggest trying to get a non-ported 410 to balance things out a little better. I run a ported 410 and a non-ported 410 for this reason.

Do you really NEED to run 12 speakers?

Do you have a 2 ohm capable head or dual-channel head to do so?

If you don't NEED or WANT to lug around all that weight (unless you're playin stadiums or 5000+people gigs, I see no point in having that many speakers) I advise trying out different 410's to go on top of your 212. You can get some SERIOUS punch, brightness, and depth from a 410, you just have to play some. I mean, I understand the desire for such a large rig, but is it really feasible? Also, your tone may change some if you take out your 410 or 212 and play them alone, how do they sound together?

My recommendations for you:

Try picks (sizes, etc)

Write down your EQ settings and mess around with em a TON to see if you can change things that way.

If worst comes to worst, try different 410s. I can give you some examples if you tell me what 410 you already have.

Archived