Bass/Gear Related Question from a friend of mine...

Thunderbroom

• Members

Scott, a student worker at the college where I work, bought my Ampeg BA-115. He already owns another. He also plays upright in a psychobilly band.

Here's what he wants to do:

Take the output from his upright preamp (which is velcroed to his upright like mine) and split the signal to each of the BA-115's. His goal is to get maximum volume. Currently he's running his preamp signal to a mixer and then running the left channel out to one of the BA-115's and the right to the other. It works, HOWEVER, the mixer is changing his tone no matter how he messes the mixer settings.

I suggested a simple Y cable from the preamp to the BA-115's. Will this work and still provide maximum volume? Will the splitting of the signal reduce the input to each amp? If it will, do any of you have a suggestion of something he can do to boost the signal back up yet not color the sound at all coming from his upright preamp?

• Members

whabout an A/B/Y box? perhaps combined with one of these:

i know this is heading away from the simpler side of things, just thinking out loud...

I forgot to mention that the kid is way low on cash. I practically gave him the Ampeg.

• Members

I forgot to mention that the kid is way low on cash. I practically gave him the Ampeg.

i'm just not sure about whether splitting the signal at the bass will work or not. i'm certainly not familiar enough with uprights and their electronics to know for sure. i do know a morley A/B/Y box can be had for about $40 or so. not sure how much you'd spend on a decent Y-cable, or if one can even purchase such an animal. sure, you can rig something with a handful of adapters from radio shack and a roll or three of duct tape (the handyman's secret weapon) but at what cost?

• Members

i'm just not sure about whether splitting the signal at the bass will work or not. i'm certainly not familiar enough with uprights and their electronics to know for sure. i do know a morley A/B/Y box can be had for about $40 or so. not sure how much you'd spend on a decent Y-cable, or if one can even purchase such an animal. sure, you can rig something with a handful of adapters from radio shack and a roll or three of duct tape (the handyman's secret weapon) but at what cost?

You can take "upright" and substitute it with "electric" bass. I can't see where the answer to the question would actually be really any different.

I'm going to suggest that he make a Y cable as he has the skills to do so. If it works, great. If not, he's not out much dough.

• Members

Since he has a preamp on the URB, a Y-cable should work fine. The only advantage to using an A/B/Y box would be if he wants to run one amp with effects, but I suppose he could just use the FX pedal to turn that one and off.

Y-Cable, K.I.S.S. ;)

• Members

Or he could make an XLR/1/4" cable to run from the DI of one BA115 to the input of the other. Even simpler.

That DI out is post EQ so he'd have to set the EQ flat on the other amp and since I know there's no such thing as a flat EQ on an Ampeg, he will probably have to spend some time, getting the two amps to sound identical.

Archived