Quick question from a bass n00b.

VanArnaoutov

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm running a Bheringer GI100 into an Audio Buddy preamp.

The tone is OK. I think it's the audio buddy preamp that's sucking the life out of the bass because I tried my DI into an analog mixer the other day at the studio and it sounded 100x better.

Anwho... I just started recording some slap/pop bass. I wanted to know... when you guys slap and pop - how hard are you hitting the thing?

The reason I'm asking is because I have to set the gain on the preamp seriously, ridiculously low for it not to distort whenever I pop... then when I play normal notes you can't even hear them because it's turned down so damn much.

I tried lowering the pickup but the output becomes too weak so that's out of the question.

Anything im doin wrong here? It's a '78 jazz bass. Strings have just been changed. Sounds pretty good otherwise.

• Members

Largely depends on how high the strings are off your fretboard. I've played a few peoples instruments where you really have to whallop the sting to get any kind of percussive sound out of them, and others where you're practically stroking them.

My Fender Jag is set up so that there's usually not too big a difference volume wise from slapping and aggressive fingerstyle, really depends on your own preferences.

A compresser would certainly help though

What's your action like?

• Members

Lowering the pickups might be a good thing, you get a loud, annoying click sound when you slap the string hard and it touches one of the poles.

Also, make sure you are using appropriately gauged strings. If they're too light, they will probably become loose and hit the frets/pickups more frequently.

The compressor idea is probably the best one so far. Learn how to use it and it will become your best friend.

You also want to play with a lighter touch; you can't go all les claypool or victor wooten if you have to exert your entire arm each time you slap. Use propper technique and start slow and lightly; speed will come with practice. Also, learn to control the dynamics of your playing with your fingers (ie, dig in when you have to and hit the strings very lightly when the song calls for it).

Archived