OT: Crack on my bike's frame

Emprov

• Members

Put on all of my cycling gear, took the bike off of the wall and started to lube the chain when I noticed a little line in the frame. Ran my thumbnail over it a few times and my carbon frame has a crack in it where the down tube the seat tube meet. Crap! It's only 5 months old too. No ride today, gotta take it down to the shop tomorrow to find out about a replacement. Dang, I was really looking forward to a ride too! :mad:

• Members

Put on all of my cycling gear, took the bike off of the wall and started to lube the chain when I noticed a little line in the frame. Ran my thumbnail over it a few times and my carbon frame has a crack in it where the down tube the seat tube meet. Crap! It's only 5 months old too. No ride today, gotta take it down to the shop tomorrow to find out about a replacement. Dang, I was really looking forward to a ride too!
:mad:

Sounds like a defect in the composite. You should get a new bike. I assume it's under warranty still, unless you got it used. bummer.

• Members

Sounds like a defect in the composite. You should get a new bike. I assume it's under warranty still, unless you got it used. bummer.

Ya, it's under warranty. The front tire went out from under me around a corner a few weeks back an my leg's just now to a point at which I can ride again without pain. Didn't think that the bike hit in such a way that the frame would have been damaged, guess I was wrong. I'm going to fix all evidence of the crash, (replace part of the brifters), and take it back to the shop. See what happens. I'm pretty bummed. Not the end of the world, but still.

• Members

I used to ride with a guy who had one of the early kestrals. I believe the first 2 he had developed cracks fairly early on, but were replaced under warranty. I thought they mostly had durability issues with carbon licked by now. I still ride a 79 Ciocc which shows no signs of giving it up soon

• Members

Steel be the best.

I've got a Dawes Super Galaxy tourer, Reynolds 531 tubing, must be about 20yrs old and it is still going strong with thousands of miles on the clock.

Planning on cycling the length of the Hebrides, to Barra and back, this summer with some mates, for charity. Should be fun!

Archived