Things that I've learned lately while transcribing songs

Phantasm

• Members

*** NO SONGS NAMES HAVE BEEN INCLUDED TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT ***

1. There was very rarely bass guitar in many songs before 1990ish. I think it's just a rumor that the bass guitar existed for a lot of these bands. I think they dressed up a mannequin and put him on stage with a P-Bass and had stage hands move him around so that it looked cool.

2. White boy funk has a lot of unnecessary changes in its attempt to emulate actual funk.

3. People that transcribe tabs and put them on the internet must often take illegal substances before doing so. There were a few songs I looked for this week that were totally and blatantly wrong. One of the songs had several wrong versions and one of them actually said "I'm tabbing this one because every tab I've seen is wrong." The punchline to this joke is that his tab was the farthest away from being right.

4. In the 80s it was apparently a trend in a lot of songs to have a bridge that goes completely crazy and often plays notes that aren't even in key. I guess the producers in that time period thought that was cool.

5. It's sad when you're listening to different versions of a song (album, live, bootleg, etc.) trying to find a recording with an audible bassline and the best one you find is a Karaoke version of the song.

6. Continuing #5, it's also sad when the karaoke version of a song is the best quality recorded version available.

7. I'm constantly amazed that musicians from the 70s tell me that 90s grunge is "angst ridden garbage." This is especially humorous to me because grunge is basically a 70s retread but the kids were pissed off, most often at their parents (from the 70s) because they wouldn't listen to them.

I'm sure I'll think of more later. I'm only 50% done with the song list...

• Members

1. You're listening to the wrong kind of music!

2. Couldn't agree more

3. My tabs are incredibly accurate, even when I am abusing substances and/or only just able to play the song in the first place. I have almost always been able to improve upon any tab I find

4. In the 90s and 2000s it is the popular trend to remove these and ANY interesting parts of ANY songs altogether. Some say this removal has actually dumbed us down and we will start craving it again when we next evolve back into fish

5. I agree, but then again, see #1

6. Heck, you're scraping the barrel, that's sad

7. Grunge was "angst ridden garbage"! Admit it, you don't mind swilling around in it now and then, kinda fun but generally it isn't very wholesome and you'll most likely get sick from it. Watch for hypodermic needles

My additions:

8. Uh... tuning pegs are there for a reason...

9. I forgot that my tape player plays 1/4 to 1/2 a step too slow (I suffered this fate once.. only once!)

And the Top Ten is....

10. The fact that every musician of The Internet Age learnt and/or produced tablature, which is an inefficient and less than exact musical notation standard!

:D

• Members

"3. My tabs are incredibly accurate, even when I am abusing substances and/or only just able to play the song in the first place. I have almost always been able to improve upon any tab I find"

+1. I don't know who those people are, but they're even worse than the dumbed-down "official transcriptions"

And from my experience trying to transcribe by ear...

11. Jaco Pastorius was a mother{censored}er. Teen Town live is at least 150% faster than the album version, which itself is twice as fast as I can think.

• Members

3. People that transcribe tabs and put them on the internet must often take illegal substances before doing so.

4. In the 80s it was apparently a trend in a lot of songs to have a bridge that goes completely crazy and often plays notes that aren't even in key.

+1. . . errr . . . +2

• Members

Oh yeah?!?! Well just listen to....

Dangit, I forgot I said I would not give names to protect the innocent.

:)

It is tab, not as if someone is claiming IP over the material :)

Have you come across anyone's tab from, the forum here? You may come across mine if you're looking for Ministry, Alice in Chains Unplugged (the whole performance) and a few other bands. Those were probably 8 years ago now when my email address was j6872839@ironbark.latrobe.edu.au (doing my Bachelor of Computing) hehe.

Edit: Doing a Google search fopr j6872839 reveals many tabs and many sins according to the list we have just compiled... hey I was young! ;)

• Members

Have you come across anyone's tab from, the forum here? You may come across mine if you're looking for Ministry, Alice in Chains Unplugged (the whole performance) and a few other bands. Those were probably 8 years ago now when my email address was
j6872839@ironbark.latrobe.edu.au
(doing my Bachelor of Computing) hehe.

Edit: Doing a Google search fopr j6872839 reveals many tabs and many sins according to the list we have just compiled... hey I was young!
;)

Honestly I really hadn't noticed the names on most of the tabs...

One of the best songs was "We're an American Band." A lot of the tabs I saw I was having a hard time figuring out what they were listening to when they tabbed the song! Then there was a tab by a guy, it said "everyone plays this wrong, here's how it really goes" and that one was just as far if not farther off than all of them!

I don't want to sound ingenuine, I appreciate everyone that contributes to the thankless job of tabbing songs and putting them on the internet. Just sometimes I wonder if they're listening to the same song when they're tabbing it!

• Members

5. It's sad when you're listening to different versions of a song (album, live, bootleg, etc.) trying to find a recording with an audible bassline and the best one you find is a Karaoke version of the song.

Karaoke songs do have some of the most audible bass lines.

I'd guess it's because there's no singer in the booth saying, "I can't hear the vocals" :D

• Members

*** NO SONGS NAMES HAVE BEEN INCLUDED TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT ***

7. I'm constantly amazed that musicians from the 70s tell me that 90s grunge is "angst ridden garbage." This is especially humorous to me because grunge is basically a 70s retread but the kids were pissed off, most often at their parents (from the 70s) because they wouldn't listen to them.

I'm sure I'll think of more later. I'm only 50% done with the song list...

Um...I was a teen in the 70's. My kid was born right in the middle of "grunge". Grunge pioneers had parents who were in the 1960's, not 70's.

And grunge is fine...but it's like any other style of music out there: some winners, a whole lot of losers.

But hey, good times right? :D

Archived