Chewing gum while singing?

Sparkdog

• Members

I'm not gonna say it expanded my range or anything crazy like that...it did help as far as my throat not drying out, lol. I'm not too worried about the projectile gum, but I almost inhaled it several times, haha.

And yeah, the minty fresh mic is a bonus!

• Members

I tried this this past Friday, and it certainly did help the dry mouth thing, but I found having to control the gum distracting and between tunes I couldn't keep myself from chewing it. Didn't like the way that looked (a friend made a joke about it during the break). Not a big deal, but not the image I like to project, if that makes any sense. I think I'll go back to using these little Optimoist thingies I found in Rite Aid. They're little sugarless lozenges that have a sort of celluloid backing. You press them between your cheek and gums and they stick there for about an hour and a half to two hours. The sugarless lozenge part dissolves slowly (it has a sort of fruity flavor) and keeps the saliva flowing. Eventually you have to scrape what's left of the celluloid off with your tongue or a finger. I use two--one on each side of my mouth--and they work well and stay put and out of the way.

Louis

• Members

Hendrix did it. There's always the risk of choking on a sudden breath, but if you feel you can not choke on it, there isn't any other negative aspect. It also helps work your jaw and keep it relaxed and loose.

Ohhh the irony:facepalm:

• Members

I have a very close friend with whom I've performed with dozens of times, who sings with gum in her mouth. I mentioned it to her once, and it was just about keeping from being dry.

My only thing about it is when I see someone doing that, it makes me think they have a cavalier attitude about their performance. Oh - they forgot to spit out their gum? Or - they don't really care if they keep chewing it through the song?

Archived