What p'ups for SX Jazz?

thelurker

• Members

I'm sure this has been discussed, but couldn't find it in a short search.

Has anyone found replacement jazz pickups that fit right into an SX jazz bass? I'd like to try to avoid routing if possible. I was looking at the set of EMG selects on StewMac, but would like other suggestions as well. Naturally, this upgrade will include pots. Thanks for playing! chris

• Members

Has anyone found replacement jazz pickups that fit right into an SX jazz bass? I'd like to try to avoid routing if possible. I was looking at the set of EMG selects on StewMac, but would like other suggestions as well. Naturally, this upgrade will include pots. Thanks for playing! chris

sorry I don't know about size issues, but I really like the set of DiMarzio UltraJazz I have in my mim fender...which I did have to route.

If you can find a set used for maybe what $50 I think that would be an excellent choice....c-d

• Members

Go to www.bestbassgear.com and check out the Bartolini pickups. Thier passive so you wont have to worry about battery like EMG, and sound absolutely fantastic. I had to get the set that made for a Fender, in other words with different width for the bridge and neck pickup. They have a large selction too. I have them in my SX and it sings, silent as well.

• Members

Anything is a direct replacemnt for an SX as long as it has the Fender Different Width setup. The neck pickup has a very slightly shorter wodth than bridge. Anything will fit as long as its designed for that. Make sure whatever pickups you get have those specs. I recommned E-mailing www.rondomusic.net for the specifics, Kurt, proprieter, responds quickly.

• Members

I'll check those out! Thanks!

Tietjen - The bass came in good shape, fret edges are smooth, the entire guitar is solid. It will need set-up (action and intonation), but the changes were minimal, no truss rod adjustments needed on mine. The bridge didn't bother me, as I get plenty of vibration through the body. The overall impression I have (as a beginner on bass, but long-time keyboard player) is that it is a sturdy beginner instrument, with enough durability to gig. Many folks here have changed the things they don't like, and seem happier, since the original instrument only cost $120 USD.

I just recently got an amp (heretofore I've only used it through my recording rig), I find that I want to replace the p'ups and pots, as I don't feel like I'm getting a very broad range of tones. Other than that, it is a low cost but serviceable bass. Hope that helps!

• Members

Wow, never seen those before. That price isnt too bad. Come to think of it $280 for a set isn't bad at all. Thats close to what Duncans, Barts, Fralins, and EMG's would cost.

What country are you in? Seriously? You can get any of the listed above for about $130 shipped at the most expensive...(maybe no Fralin's...unless you got used)

• Members

What country are you in? Seriously? You can get any of the listed above for about $130 shipped at the most expensive...(maybe no Fralin's...unless you got used)

My bad I wasnt thinking in sets. But even then, $280 isnt that, especially if they are as good as the site said. Sorry for the mess up.

• Members

My bad I wasnt thinking in sets. But even then, $280 isnt that, especially if they are as good as the site said. Sorry for the mess up.

Eh, it's ok, it happens, I was a bit rude honestly...didn't mean to come off that way :thu: I just don't like people bein misinformed! haha

• Members

I have a set of Q-Tuner's in my Yammi

BB-405-Q-Tuner-1.jpg

I also recorded this before/after

http://www.verneandru.com/WebApp/Downloads/Audio/Q-TunerPepsiChallange.mp3

I had to get my bass routed - he didn't have jazz drop-in's at the time - so I recorded some arpeggio's, left the desk as it was, took the bass to the luthier who did the install, then recorded the same arp's as a comparison.

Q-Tuners are expensive, but worth every penny. They are boutique - all pups are made to order and it takes over 8 hours just to do the windings!

• Members

I too am looking for replacement pups, for my 2 SX 4+1 Jazzes. I actually like the stock pups, but after replacing the bridge on one with a badass style (an economy version) the string spacing is too wide for the B string to be picked up correctly, the rest of the strings sing, BTW! :thu:

I am looking hard at the selects because it looks like they will fit and the price is economical. I will likelly go to GC on Memorial day to see if they have anything on sale that would work. If not I will order a set of EMG Selects from Stewmac. Either way, I'll let you know how it turns out.

When i get the first 4+1 right I will put the same configuration into the other one and put flats on one.

Archived