L. Ron Hoover

• Members

Prototype passive DI...

Features:

Lundahl transformer.

10dB and 20dB pads.

2 different types of ground lift.

Mil spec non-inductive resistors.

Very flat frequency and phase responses even at very low frequency where many other DIs fall apart. Shown below.

It doesn't look like much but it seems to be quite transparent and clean. I'm going to put it through its paces over the next little while to see how it stacks up against Radial etc.

I'm planning to add an XLR polarity reversal and a mix feature (to use the 1/4" jacks as a stereo input mixed to mono) when I get the right switches.

Passive_DI_2.jpg

Passive_DI_1.jpg

PDI.jpg

• Members

Nice Far Side calendar.

With as many good DIs on the market as their are, (for example, the Radials) why are you working on a DI? Quality? Cost? Other features?

Just as a precursor to some other stuff really. Also, I needed a DI. :D

I think that this is every bit as good as a JDI just a bit of a different flavour. I'm going to AB them this weekend.

• Moderators

Just as a precursor to some other stuff really. Also, I needed a DI.
:D
I think that this is every bit as good as a JDI just a bit of a different flavour. I'm going to AB them this weekend.

What else are you going to be working on, or is that a secret?

I like DIY DIs, but if you are going commercial, I just wondered if you were going to be able to distincuish it in the marketplace, by cost, quality, features or just hope it catches on. No knock on the idea at all, I'm 100% supportive of it.

• Members

What's the difference in price?

Well, I built mine for well less than a JDI costs but I'd have to build a pile of them to justify ,say, selling them at the JDI price point. I'm not really planning to commercialize, though I might do that eventually.

• Members

What else are you going to be working on, or is that a secret?

I like DIY DIs, but if you are going commercial, I just wondered if you were going to be able to distincuish it in the marketplace, by cost, quality, features or just hope it catches on. No knock on the idea at all, I'm 100% supportive of it.

I'm in the process of designing a bass preamp and a fancy DI/line driver, again not specifically for commercialization right now but maybe later.

If I was going to market this, I'd probably use the angle of Radial quality and features at a better price point. However, I'm far away from doing anything like that right now.

• Members

Well, I built mine for well less than a JDI costs but I'd have to build a pile of them to justify ,say, selling them at the JDI price point. I'm not really planning to commercialize, though I might do that eventually.

You oughta see what the "boutique" pedal builders are getting for their guitar effects pedals...

C7

• Members

I used it for some recording last night and it seems really good. More testing yet to do.... I'm going to get a bunch of other passive DIs and run the same measurements on them and then do a listening comparo to see how things stack up. As for selling them, I haven't really thought about that yet. I'd need to sort a bunch of stuff out before I could even consider it.

I figure the sharpie writing will allow me to charge at least twice what it's worth because of the extreme esoteric boutique appeal.... ;):p

Archived