HP Lovecraft

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

Most of Lovecrafts stories deal in one way or another with the "elder dark Gods" who once ruled the earth but were banished from this realm but are constantly seeking a way back in, this plot device is what some have called the Cthulhu mythos. There are TONS of Lovecraft anthologies out there now. Look for one with these stories in it and you won't be disappointed, At Mountains of Madness, The Dunwich Horror, Dreams in the Witch House, the Colour From Space, The Call of Cthulhu, Dagon.

True story from my sorid past.

I got into H.P. Lovecraft back in the 70's. It was hard to find collections of his stories so I was constantly searching used bookstores trying to find out of print books. One day a friend of mine who knew I collect Lovecraft's stuff called me up and told me to come over to his house that he had a surprize for me.

I went over to his house and on the floor of his living room he had two huge boxes of long out of print Lovecraft books and books by Lovecraft proteges' like August Dearlith and Robert Bloch. I couldn't believe my eyes. My friends older brother worked for a company that bought old houses and building and renovated them. Anything that was left in the houses the workers could keep. They had just bought a house at auction that was being sold because the owner of the house, his wife and their daughter had all committed suicide together in the house. Apparently they were all into "witchcraft" and had a huge collection of books, the Lovecraft ones ,according to my friend, were the least weird of the collection. My friends brother knew I was looking for Lovecraft so he gathered them all up and put them in his truck before anyone else got them.:thu:

• Members

Also, HP Lovecraft has yet to be effectively be translated into film. Nothing captures the tone of his stories...which doesn't really has things in it that no human can describe and if they try to, they go quite insane just from the sheer site...something so indescribable that it's impossible to grasp. And then movies go and actually try to describe it by making some idiotic monster or fake looking make-up that just doesn't work.

One that got close, and I may get flamed for this, is the The Blair Witch Project. Notice you don't see anything, but there's a sense of dread in the air and certainly time and space are warped at one point to where they seem to be going in circles etc etc. Many people hated this movie because they didn't see a monster or it wasn't a conventional movie or what-not, but it was very Lovecraftian.

The guitarist in my last band did the score for a movie called cthulu. They're still shopping around for distribution, but they're gotten it scheduled to be in a bunch of horror film festivals this summer.

http://www.cthulhuthemovie.com/

• Members

The guitarist in my last band did the score for a movie called cthulu. They're still shopping around for distribution, but they're gotten it scheduled to be in a bunch of horror film festivals this summer.

There was a "silent" version of "Call of Cthulhu" that came out a few years ago. It was made recently, but they made it as if it came out in the 20's. It wasn't bad, considering it was mainly an amateur movie.

The heart of a good Lovecraft story though was what he left out to let the reader imagine it more than just describe something in minute detail.

"Colour Out of Space" was a good one that I really enjoyed. "The Haunter in the Dark" was another.

Also, in my youth I played the role-playing game "Call of Cthulhu" almost every weekend with my friends. Yes, we were uber-geeks, but we loved it. In my opinion, Call of Cthulhu was the best pen&paper roll-playing game ever.

• Members

I read a lot of Lovecraft when I was in high school. I haven't read much in the 25+ years since. I liked his writing, but thought it was more than a bit pretentious.

So you thought it was full on pretentious, eh??

:D

• Members

I've read a few short stories by Lovecraft and while I enjoyed some of them, I didn't really get enough out of them to want to read more.

I can't think of anyone who deos what he does much better though, which is nice. Frequently praise is heaped on folks who don't deserve it.

• Members
Well, you're not younger than me, so I can't chalk it up to the PS2 generation
:D

He's Black Mage, from
Final Fantasy
, the original NES/Famicom game.

ViVi is part of the ninth game to use that imagery. 8-bit theater uses the original sprites.

Final_Fantasy_I_Lich_Battle.png

To be perfectly sane, it was the ninth only nominally. There were a lot more FF games interspersed between the normally numebered ones (mystic quest, tactics, and all of the out-of-order gameboy ones).

• Members

To be perfectly sane, it was the ninth only nominally. There were a lot more FF games interspersed between the normally numebered ones (mystic quest, tactics, and all of the out-of-order gameboy ones).

It was the Ninth titled RPG...Most of the other ones weren't RPGs in the original format.

• Members

It was the Ninth titled RPG...Most of the other ones weren't RPGs in the original format.

I wouldn't say most of the others weren't the same. Tactics and mystic quest were different, but most of the game boy ones were still in the true "final fantasy" style.

• Members

I wouldn't say most of the others weren't the same. Tactics and mystic quest were different, but most of the game boy ones were still in the true "final fantasy" style.

The gameboy ones weren't "Final Fantasy"s though...

The "Legend" series was actually a totally different series that just got labeled Final Fantasy for it's US release (it was a separate series in Japan and didn't have the name attached at all).

And "Final Fantasy Adventure" was explicitly a gaiden/side story...

• Members
The gameboy ones weren't "Final Fantasy"s though...

The "Legend" series was actually a totally different series that just got labeled Final Fantasy for it's US release (it was a separate series in Japan and didn't have the name attached at all).

And "Final Fantasy Adventure" was explicitly a gaiden/side story...

OK, so we've both proven that we're master nit-pickers. :)Even though the Legend games were really just renamed SaGa games, I still consider them FF games at heart. :D Adventure on the other hand was just a weird wart on the face of the franchise. :D

Archived