OT(As usual!) European forumites to the courtesy cell phone!

thelurker

• Members

Any of our European forumites. One of the guys at work is heading to Germany next week. Can you get a "pay as you go" cell phone in Europe that can call to the U.S.? Or do you have service from any of these cell services?

Virgin

Cingular

Go

Thanks in advance!

• Members

When I lived in Europe, I had a pay as you go phone that called the U.S. no problem. The provider was Vodafone and I refilled using the prepaid cards they sell in the grocery stores. It did, however, cost a small fortune to call the U.S. - a 10 Euro prepaid card lasted just a few minutes of calling time when calling out of the country.

When I visit now, it's much cheaper for me to use my U.S. T-Mobile phone to make the calls.

• Members

Most US service providers have agreements with other international service providers so, if you have a GPS phone, chances are pretty good that you'll be able to use it overseas. Call your service provider though to see if he needs to upgrade the calling plan.

• Members

+1 for T-mobile. It's actually a German company and also a relatively inexpensive provider in the US.

They have a $20/month plan or also some pay as you go plans, which can be extended to work in Germany. Don't know about the actual costs for international calls, but I'm sure they can answer those in the store

Archived