Which Pot is Which?

English

• Members

I'm embarrassed that I have to ask this, but here goes: I have a Hamer Cruise bass, which has the normal three pots (knobs). I'm assuming two are volume and one is tone. Which is which?

Referring to the picture below, am I right in thinking that the pot marked 3, is the volume for the pickup nearest the nut, the pot marked 2 is the volume for the pickup nearest the bridge, and the pot marked 1 is the tone?

Bass.jpg

Alan.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^ Very nice indeed!

I'll be here if you need help.

Thanks very much. I assume I can safely cut the strings if they're too long - just like a regular guitar? (Sorry for even more lame questions).

• Moderators

You want to thread the strings through the bridge from the back side and pull them through the bridge. Pull the ends of the strings up past the tuner posts and cut each string approximately 3-4" past the post. Then thread the cut end of each string into the hole in the center of each post, bend it over and start wrapping the string on the post by turning the tuning keys.

• Members

OK. Re-strung with no surprises. Thanks for the help - particularly the 3-4" rule :thu:.

Now, I can hear (and is confirmed with a tuner) that the intonation is out on the E and the A string. The octaves are sharp.

Am I right in thinking that this would be adjusted by the one screw on the bottom of each bridge piece (the one that would effectively vary the length of the resonant part of the string)?

I can see that every adjustment of this would alter the tuning drastically, so would be quite a bit of trial and error. Any gems of wisdom for me?

I won't alter anything 'till I hear from you guys :).

It's good to know you guys are there :thu:.

Alan.

• Moderators

The first thing you want to check/set is the relief of the neck - the forward/back bow. You can see where it is currently by depressing the E string at the first and last frets and looking around the 9th fret to see how much clearance there is between the bottom of the string and the top of the 9th fret. You want there to be some space between the two, but not much. In most cases, if the fret work is well done, you want it to be no more than the thickness of a business card.

• Members

Intonation is easy. Fret the note at the 12th fret, then play an open note, and if there's a difference between the two notes, adjust:

-if the fretted note is sharp relative to the open note, move the saddle back

-if the fretted note is flat, move the saddle forward.

A little adjustment can go a long way. After you get the notes to match, play a harmonic at the 12th fret and see if it's in tune as well; if it's off make the same adjustments you did before, but only to a teensy, weensy, WEENSY bit. Voila.

C7

• Members

The first thing you want to check/set is the relief of the neck - the forward/back bow. You can see where it is currently by depressing the E string at the first and last frets and looking around the 9th fret to see how much clearance there is between the bottom of the string and the top of the 9th fret. You want there to be some space between the two, but not much. In most cases, if the fret work is well done, you want it to be no more than the thickness of a business card.

Does it smell in there?:confused:

This advice, while solid and accurate, is completely full of {censored}. Kinda.

C7

• Moderators

If the relief is not where it should be, you will need to adjust the truss rod. You do this by opening the truss rod cover on the headstock by the nut and using the truss rod adjustment tool (or other socket that fits) to increase or decrease the relief. The nut on the truss rod tightens and loosens like any normal threaded nut, righty-tighty, lefty-loosey. Tighten the truss rod to decrease the forward bow. Loosen the truss rod to increase the forward bow.

• Members

If the relief is not where it should be, you will need to adjust the truss rod. You do this by opening the truss rod cover on the headstock by the nut and using the truss rod adjustment tool (or other socket that fits) to increase or decrease the relief. The nut on the truss rod tightens and loosens like any normal threaded nut, righty-tighty, lefty-loosey. Tighten the truss rod to decrease the forward bow. Loosen the truss rod to increase the forward bow.

Don't use a drill with a bit driver for this step. Trust me.

C7

• Members

mmm, the clearance is nearly the width of the string!

• Moderators

After the relief is set, you need to set the heights of the bridge saddles. You want to follow the radius of the neck and slightly decrease the string heights as you move from E to G.

Medium action is achieved when the E string is depressed at the first fret and the distance between the top of the 12th fret and the bottom of the E string is approximately 100-110 thousandths of an inch and decreasing across the strings to about 80-90 thousandths of an inch on the G string.

• Moderators

mmm, the clearance is nearly the width of the string!

Okay, this is a major adjustment and needs to be handled slowly. Remove the truss rod cover and tighten the nut until it is "finger tight." Let me know whether it was already finger tight or if it was totally loose in the neck.

• Members

Okay, this is a major adjustment and needs to be handled slowly. Remove the truss rod cover and tighten the nut until it is "finger tight." Let me know whether it was already finger tight or if it was totally loose in the neck.

mmm, seem to be at a flying stop with this one. I don't have a truss rod tool, and I can't see there's any way I'd get any kind of socket I have in there :confused:.

• Moderators

mmm, seem to be at a flying stop with this one. I don't have a truss rod tool, and I can't see there's any way I'd get any kind of socket I have in there
:confused:

Okay, that is a problem. Contact Hamer and get one. You need it. customerservice@hamerguitars.com

Give them the serial number and they will know what tool you need. If you run into a problem with them, let me know. I'm sure I can get you what you need one way or another.

Archived