Spend My Gig Money

Thunderbroom

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jeff, you've been wanting a tele bass for a long time now so I vote for a well earned Warmoth tele to your specs if you can't get a G&L to suit. But if it were up to me you'd be getting something with some points.;)

• Members

You're a Mike Watt fan, right t-broom? Get one of these
;)

thelecaster.jpg

That would be kinda cool.

:thu:

I'm still hung up on a telecaster bass (that looks like the guitar version). My big concern with going Warmoth (which appears to be my only option based on what I'd like) is that there's no guarantee that I'm going to actually like the finished product no matter how much time I sit around trying to design the thing.

• Members

I'm still hung up on a telecaster bass (that looks like the guitar version). My big concern with going Warmoth (which appears to be my only option based on what I'd like) is that there's no guarantee that I'm going to actually like the finished product no matter how much time I sit around trying to design the thing.

That's very true, there are no guarantee's but you can stack the deck. One thing you can do is find a bass that has the perfect tone for what your looking for, and note all the woods, the pickups, the type of electronics etc. It won't be the same but if you spec all that out the same in your warmoth project you will most likely be very close tonewise. You will have a much different balance issue with the tele to get used to though, and with the much shorter top 'horn' the bass is not going to hang or feel like a fender type. Remember how the Steinie feels like the neck is way out there? There will be some of that effect on a tele plus a little more dive tendency possibly. You can't avoid the possibility that it might not turn out to be the dream bass you thought it would, and if so you will never make up the money if you sold it. I'd still say it would be a good option for you though, you know what you want and you know it's not available on the factory market. That's the best reason to do a Warmoth.

• Members

I'm wondering if it's a doable job to take an existing bass and replace the fingerboard?!?

If so, maybe I can find the right used ASAT over time and then have a luthier replace the fingerboard with what I want.

OR:

1. Have Larry at Gallery Hardwoods sell you an acrylized maple fretboard blank (ask James Hart about this),

2. Ask Warmoth to make a neck for you using this fretboard,

3. Enjoy.

Ever since I saw/heard about JH's indestructible maple fretless 'board, I've been intrigued.

• Members

That's very true, there are no guarantee's but you can stack the deck.

When I bought my L-2000 a few years ago, I tried the ASAT's at that time. It does indeed hang like the Steinie with the neck extending further out. The neckdive was not bad, but it was there.

I just think those basses are freakin' so cool looking and kinda wish that I had got the ASAT instead of the L-2000 now. They sound identical but just have a different vibe.

• Members

This would TOTALLY work and the price is great if it stays where it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230150230410

The issue still is finding someone to create a maple fingerboard for it.

:(

Quotes I received for a luthier to remove the fingerboard on my Carvin were way higher than the current bid on that bass. That would be a prohibitively expensive, and risky job that only a very experienced tech could do right.

• Members

OR:

1. Have Larry at Gallery Hardwoods sell you an acrylized maple fretboard blank (ask James Hart about this),

2. Ask Warmoth to make a neck for you using this fretboard,

3. Enjoy.

Ever since I saw/heard about JH's indestructible maple fretless 'board, I've been intrigued.

Will Warmoth actually make the neck for though?

Music Man Basses

Archived