"old" bass...warwick lx 5

LAbass

• Members

so i just came from first rehersal with this bas...i must say i like it alot...it is older one...with wenge neck and fingerboard...flamed maple 2 piece body, mec PU...

i find it muuuch better than new ones i tried...in playability and sound...

sound is strong, well defined, grity if you want, preamp is very nice and powerful(with little hiss if you turn treble al the way up..), and it has this "warwick growl":)...i must say that i have small hands and neck feels normal and nice to me(no matter that neck is thick..) the feel of wenge is also better than ovankol wood, frets are a bit weared but action i still nice and low with no buzz...

BUT...it is natural finished and body is in more or less bad condition...i don't like natural finish, so can anyone here sugest me how to refinish body or just paiste here a good link with method how to refinish warwick bass...which paint should i use and so...i love look of nirvana black finished streamers(like on picture). since it's no problem for me to work with wood and new chalange i'll maybe try to paint it somehow :rolleyes:

on other hand it looks nice as it is now because it looks like realy hardworker:)

warwick_streamer_s1_4st_bk.jpg

• Members

no i just paiste that picture for all of u to se which color i would like to have...mine is natural finished...looks prety much like standard streamer stage 1(just with narrower neck)...maybe in next few days i'll post some pictures after i get camera.

Is that yours in that picture? If it is, I would not change it. I really like that finish. Looks very cool.

Just my opinion though.

• Members

If its unfinished natural finish like the newer bubinga body with ovankol neck & wenge fretboard. Then it'd simply be a matter of use very fine sandpaper to smooth and remove any of the paste wax buildup. For simple easy refinish, use one of the easy wipe on wood sealer/finishes in one that are available thru home depot. These can be tinted or not. Did my BC Rich IT warlock that way, sanded off its matte black finish which revealed very nice one peice nato mahogany body. Refinished it with easy wipe on ming wax in walnut finish (the sealer & finish in one). Came out nice. Home depot carries 2-3 brands of this type of product useable for furniture, wood deck, and of course guitar bodies. If wants gloss overcoat theres also clear poly available to put ovder the sealer/finish/stain of choice. Between coats & after final one drys lightly sand with ultra fine sandpaper. For nice smooth surface.

Archived