So I know none of your...

Verlian

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Try listening to The Roots - their musicianship is way up there. The Beastie Boys, too. They don't always rely on Mix Master Mike - sometimes they play instruments. Pick up Ill Communication for a good time, or even better, The In Sound From Way Out which is an instrumental funk album they put out in 94.
:thu:

I was about to suggest The In Sound From Way Out, man.

For me, it's just... I don't generally ENJOY the genre, but I don't die when I listen to anything from it. As I said, I can dig elements from anything that is at least attempting to be music.:)

• Members
There is no winning.
:p

I was about to suggest The In Sound From Way Out, man.

For me, it's just... I don't generally ENJOY the genre, but I don't die when I listen to anything from it. As I said, I can dig elements from anything that is at least attempting to be music.
:)

*Walks away Pwned.*

• Members

Killing Joke, Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend Cog, Bjork, Porcupine Tree, Massive Attack, P J Harvey, Faith no More, Salmonella Dub, OSI, Ol' Soundgarden, Supergrass, The Mars Volta, Aphex Twin, Muse, Deftones, Opeth, Mastodon, Headless Chickens, Tool, Megadeth, Incubus, NIN, Mr. Bungle, Shapeshifter...

Edit: Imogen Heap, Fiona Apple.

• Members

Killing Joke, Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend Cog, Bjork, Porcupine Tree, Massive Attack, P J Harvey, Faith no More, Salmonella Dub, OSI, Ol' Soundgarden, Supergrass, The Mars Volta, Aphex Twin, Muse, Deftones, Opeth, Mastodon, Headless Chickens, Tool, Megadeth, Incubus, NIN, Mr. Bungle, Shapeshifter...

Edit: Imogen Heap, Fiona Apple.

I have a high respect for Fiona Apple, I like her style.

• Members

I'll go ahead and recommend the Pogues, for noooo reason at all. :)

I don't own any of their stuff, but have heard various songs from Rum Sodomy & Lash, as well as If I Should Fall From Grace With God, and they are pretty great. I think those two are generally regarded as being pretty good.

• Members

Actually. I don't think I've heard any of their stuff. I'll look them up.

I guess they're considered Irish punk or something like that, but I like them better than...uhh....Floggin Molly aaand/or....I dunno...whatever that other band like that is. The Pogues just seem less gimmicky, although I have to admit I don't have much experience with the other bands I was referring to.

• Members
I guess they're considered Irish punk or something like that, but I like them better than...uhh....Floggin Molly aaand/or....I dunno...whatever that other band like that is. The Pogues just seem less gimmicky, although I have to admit I don't have much experience with the other bands I was referring to.

Hmm. I'm not finding anything, I'll check it out later when I'm on my better computer. (This one is slow. :mad: )

• Members

Because having an accent and playing traditional instruments along side modern ones is gimmicky.

• Members

I really enjoy Flogging Molly, and I've been told that fans of FM might like The Pogues. I also recently watched the Joe Strummer Let's Rock Again DVD. He talked about managing The Pogues in the vid. I thought, why haven't I checked this band out, yet?

Of course, Best Buy didn't have any the other day when I was there. :mad:

• Members

Because having an accent and playing traditional instruments along side modern ones is gimmicky.

Ha, sorry, I guess gimmicky might not be the right word. And anyway, it's not that at all that bothers me...can't really put my finger on what it is though, it's been quite a while since I last heard them. Might be that they sounded (to me) like they were just taking traditional Irish melodies and putting hyperactive drumming behind it. BUT, like I said, I haven't given them too much of a chance.

Wasn't intending to say they were bad, but I guess I did, unintentially.

Archived