80's Fender Jazz Special... Upgrades...

Sancho

• Members

What are some upgrades some of you would recommend doing to this bass?

I want to keep it passive.

Badass II

different pickups.

I use this bass primarily in a GN'R Tribute band

Bass has j and P bass pickups.

Would like a little more warmth and punch than the stock pickups that are in there.

• Members

I use this bass primarily in a GN'R Tribute band

Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounders come to mind. That make a P/J set that goes from a very aggressive tone to a vintage feel depending on how much you turn up the tone knob, and how you alter your playing style. I can see them working quite well. I have that pickup in my precision bass.

• Members

It's not that I am unhappy, I think the bass sounds great.....

I just thought there must be tighter and warmer pickups out there for it....

I am primarily a guitar player and have always swapped out stock factory pickups with Dimarzio or SD pickups unless they came from the factory already with them, it always gave the sound a little more clarity and punch, especially the SD.

The pickup I really need to swap out is the pickup in my Gibson Blackbird, I just find the stock pickup muddy, but again I would like to keep it passive.

I just picked up a rig for this project consisting of a GK 1001RB-II and RBH410 cab. However I will be having my bass player use this rig in another band of mine and am considering getting a SansAmp RBI to run with it and also use the 1176 compressor in my UA 6176 pre/comp.

I also wouldn't mind some recommendations as to what some of you use for effects and how you set them up for bass. I am familiar with a lot of cool boxes for guitar that make some unique tones, but not familiar with what cool things are out there for bass.

Archived