Bass Amp Help!

SongMan

• Members

Hi,

I am helping one of my church youth member buy his bass amp. He is 15 years old and recently picked up MIM J-Bass. We do have a bass amp at church where he could use it. However he needs an amp at home to practice. So I guess I'm looking for a nice practice amp. However if you guys recommend medium sized amp so that he can play at home and small venue at times, that's fine too.

His budget is $200 and it can be used or new.

thanks, David

• Members

Unless extremely lucky, your not going to find other then a nice low wattage practice combo in the 25-35 watt range used for $200 or less. He'd be better off getting processor to use with headphones in that price range imo. Best low cost reliable amps combos and seperate heads & cabs is gonna be Peavey in my experience. Get one with 10" speaker since the ones with 8" are rather weak sounding. Great condition used Peavy Minx for $200 or less should be doable once finds one.

The Peavey Max 112 other poster reccomended for new at $200 is decent deal. Not as good as the older Minx's but still good deal at only $200.

• Members

Again, it's more for him to practice at home if anything. Ofcourse if he can use it to gig at a small room full of youth kids it would be a plus, but as I mentioned we already have large bass amp at church that he uses.

• Members

Again, it's more for him to practice at home if anything. Ofcourse if he can use it to gig at a small room full of youth kids it would be a plus, but as I mentioned we already have large bass amp at church that he uses.

Given the budget and the application, I'd say go with the previously mentioned Peavey or...

Ashdown CL210 Access Mini Rig Bass Combo Amplifier

willsellout (a regular here) has one of the Ashdowns. For the coolness factor, I think the Ashdown wins.

:)

• Members

American music supply has a bunch of small ashdown combos on sale for that price range. The five fifteen is 100watts.

I just chcked them out. They have many of them. Can you specifically point one of two of them out.

Have you had chance to try these amps before?

• Members

I currently own the Ashdown "perfect ten" mini rig. It's 65 watts with two ten inch speakers. It's loud for a practice amp and the tone is really great..it doesn't sound like most practice amps. It also comes with a cd input to play along with CD's, and a headphone output. Top it all with the fact that no practice amp looks cooler and you have a winner:D. I absolutely love this thing and wouldn't trade it for the world. You can get them for 200 bucks with free shipping. It's loud enough for small gigs I think and it handles a low B very well.

Any Q's, feel free.

Dan

• Members

I currently own the Ashdown "perfect ten" mini rig. It's 65 watts with two ten inch speakers. It's loud for a practice amp and the tone is really great..it doesn't sound like most practice amps. It also comes with a cd input to play along with CD's, and a headphone output. Top it all with the fact that no practice amp looks cooler and you have a winner:D. I absolutely love this thing and wouldn't trade it for the world. You can get them for 200 bucks with free shipping. It's loud enough for small gigs I think and it handles a low B very well.

Any Q's, feel free.

Dan

Thread closed.

:)

• Members

any thoughts on Roland Bass Cube 30 amp???

I love mine! Play it with 4's and 5's, fretted or fretless, active or passive. Gain set high, set low. Louder volumes with high gain, may fart some, especially below low E. Otherwise, an excellent little amp. Can often be had for around $150 used.

Obviously, I haven't had Darkstorm's type of experience.

Archived