RotoSound vs D'Addario

RedsFan75

• Members

Yeah I'm sure theres a hundred threads on them but since search is MIA.

Specifically Rotosound Swingbass 66 nickels vs D'Addario nickels.

Got a SX 5 string Jazz bass copy and need to replace the strings, I've had DR High Beams on them but the High Beams are just not for me. The SS is just a bit too bright for the style we play. So I'm looking to go back to nickel, but I need a higher tension string, such as the XL 160.

So any thoughts on tone, feel, longevity, etc....?

• Members

I always find that Rotosounds feel loose to me. I have only tried 3 sets and found the nickel rounds to be a bit clacky/fretboard noise-ish....which sounds great when guys have cool precussive technique but has never sounded right to me for the fingerstyle I use.

The DR Low Riders sure feel nice.

As far as D'Addario I have never loved em or had an issue with them

I mostly use www.webstrings.com I like the Heavy Nickel rounds and the Heavy Stainless Flats...the price is great, the feel nice (with a fair amount of tension...) and they ship worldwide.

• Members

I hate Rotosound. I used to play them and only them, but when you get a pack of dead strings a little too often, they really lose their coolness. They never felt very good either, like they were dirty fresh out of the package. They never lasted for beans either.

DR lo riders are one of the best options out there for you. They come in nickel, and they are DR's high tension string. I use the SS ones myself and really like they way they sound and feel. They literally transformed my stuff from sounding pretty damn good to completely awesome just by changing the strings to them!

Archived