OT: Going back to school

Neonfacelift

• Members

Hey guys. I need some advise from those of you who have gone back to school later in life. When I started college at 18 I totally blew it off because I was going to be a rock star. (Wern't we all?) Needless to say, it didn't happen. I don't regret all the decisions I made. I had a great time playing with great people and learned a lot about life. But now, here I am, 25 years old and working in IT. It's a fine job, just not somthing I'm particularly passionate about. It was just somthing I did because I couldn't live off of the folks while taking 3 hours a semester for the rest of my life. I always wanted to go into communications. Graphic design, web design, anything like that. UTD has a great art and technology program that covers everything, well, art and technology. All the design stuff, video, animation, everything. This has really peaked my interest, but I'm not really at the point in my life where I can just drop my current job and go back to somthing part time while I go to school. I've got a house and I'm not married, but we have the house together and might as well be married. Even if I go at night it would still take me something like 6 years to finish, and I'm not into that idea. I was just hoping to draw on the experience of any of you guys that have gone back later in life. Thanks in advance!

• Members

I plan on going back in spring, but I'm right there with you-it'll take forever to get a degree. But look at it this way-if you don't start now, you'll never get it done. I plan on going for general ed just to get the hang of classes, etc and then I will make a more serious decision as to what I want to be "when I grow up".

• Members

I'm not really at the point in my life where I can just drop my current job and go back to somthing part time while I go to school. I've got a house and I'm not married, but we have the house together and might as well be married. Even if I go at night it would still take me something like 6 years to finish, and I'm not into that idea.

It's that reason why i have not gone back yet. I don't want to spend all of my free time doing school work. My wife is still in school right now, and she'll be there for a long time! I help her do homework, tests, finals, and all of that stuff. Heck I've even taken a few of her online courses for her! I will start taking online stuff soon enough, because that way at least I'm starting. If it takes years and years, that's what it takes.

I really wish that I could just quit my job and go back full time...but the bills don't pay themselves.

• Members

I stopped college at 18, too, because in 1993 the internet was about to explode and I got jobs paying $18, 22, and 27/hr doing computers. Why do I need a degree when I can make $54k/yr with a high school diploma.

Then the 2001 Dot-Bomb happened and I was suddenly without a job, without an education, and all the companies I worked for didn't exist anymore for references.

I went back to school at the community college in winter of 2003 at age 28 after spending 18 months on Unemployment ($450/wk) partying and doing nothing with my life.

Two years later, in early 2006 I had my Associate of Science degree. It was so easy. In a month, I start up at the local University (PSU) to get my BA in Business (I.S.). Which I'll graduate with in summer 2009 at the age of 34. Better late than never!!!!

I wish I did it sooner. If you want to go back to school just do it. As an adult it's so much easier because we actually DO our homework, and realize that bad grades aren't acceptable because we're paying for this!

On top of it all, I work for FedEx Kinkos, and they pay me back tuition for good grades, so I just put it on my student loans and I'm going to school for virtually peanuts.

Just do it! It is great. And the campus chicks are so hot. (heh)

• Members

I wish I did it sooner. If you want to go back to school just do it. As an adult it's so much easier because we actually DO our homework, and realize that bad grades aren't acceptable because we're paying for this!

That's what I was thinking. If I'm paying for it, that I'll be more inclined to actually do it. For me, it's mostly the matter of being able to swing work and school as working part time isn't an option.

• Members

That's what I was thinking. If I'm paying for it, that I'll be more inclined to actually do it. For me, it's mostly the matter of being able to swing work and school as working part time isn't an option.

They can be flexible. They have evening and weekend classes. I took a few because I simply couldn't cut back on work.

Can it be done? Yes. Is it easy? No. It's hard work, but worthwhile. I had to give up a lot of my "free time" that I would go out to the bar, or movies, or just "chillin'" with my friends. But I didn't miss it. It saved me money and I was more productive.

• Members

If your company will pay your education expenses, you have anohter reason to go back to school. I didn't start until I was 21 and graduated at 26. I swore that I'd never go back.

Finished my masters when I was 33. So much for last words.

Education is one of the few things that you have to earn on your own and one of the few things that no one can take away.

• Members

Hey guys. I need some advise from those of you who have gone back to school later in life. When I started college at 18 I totally blew it off because I was going to be a rock star. (Wern't we all?) Needless to say, it didn't happen. I don't regret all the decisions I made. I had a great time playing with great people and learned a lot about life. But now, here I am, 25 years old and working in IT. It's a fine job, just not somthing I'm particularly passionate about. It was just somthing I did because I couldn't live off of the folks while taking 3 hours a semester for the rest of my life. I always wanted to go into communications. Graphic design, web design, anything like that. UTD has a great art and technology program that covers everything, well, art and technology. All the design stuff, video, animation, everything. This has really peaked my interest, but I'm not really at the point in my life where I can just drop my current job and go back to somthing part time while I go to school. I've got a house and I'm not married, but we have the house together and might as well be married. Even if I go at night it would still take me something like 6 years to finish, and I'm not into that idea. I was just hoping to draw on the experience of any of you guys that have gone back later in life. Thanks in advance!

I basically did the same thing.

I developed the attitude, mostly out of necessity, that if it took six years, so what? It did, in fact, take me 6 years to get my B.S. and then another 4 to get my masters. I was in no hurry because, like you, I was working full time and I was playing out.

You're working and you have bills to pay so what's your hurry?

I have also taught in college and I have encountered men and women, mostly women, who are working one or even two jobs, taking care of kids, then taking 18 hours in school. The only time I would see them is when they were failing my course and wondering why. I was always honest, (which got me fired once), in telling them that they can't do everything all at once. Something has got to give.

I would always tell them to cut back on something and most often they wouldn't listen and invariably they would fail my course. I have seen this many times.

One can only do what one can do. Take your time and soak it in slowly; there's no crime or shame in that. In fact, I would bet you would get more out of an education that way. Best wishes and luck. My $0.02. :thu: :thu:

• Members

I just went back.

Go. You'll enjoy it.

One of my professors was right, "You almost too young to appreciate college. People should take a few years after high school, experience the real world, and then go to college."

I was very glad I did it.

• Members

I have also taught in college and I have encountered men and women, mostly women, who are working one or even two jobs, taking care of kids, then taking 18 hours in school. The only time I would see them is when they were failing my course and wondering why. I was always honest, (which got me fired once), in telling them that they can't do everything all at once. Something has got to give.

I would always tell them to cut back on something and most often they wouldn't listen and invariably they would fail my course. I have seen this many times.

I worked full time and took a 15 hour credit load. Graduated with a 3.97 GPA. It can be done. It just takes a highly motivated person to get through it.

My advice is to go half time and get it done when it gets done. It's worth it!

• Members

I went back to school in the fall of 2004, at 23. Now it's 2007 and I just finished up!

I went full time, got a job that would give me two days off during the week, loaded all of my classes into those two days, and worked my ass off.

Do it.

Archived