Options for a warm sounding 1x12 or 2x10 rig?

Good Shirt

• Members

Since I'm going to be rolling in custom basses soon, I've decided I may as well revamp my whole rig. Out with the old and in with the new.

Ideally, I'm after a warm, tight sounding rig that suits cozy gigs on small stages. The price can't be too extravagant either, because amp prices in Australia can be crazy! I've had a look around...and how about this:

Aguilar DB112 cab + Warwick ProFet 3.2 300w head.

I love the look of those Aguilar cabs, but they're 19" wide ...which means a putting a rack on top would probably stick out over the sides :mad: Some other possible cabs I found could be: Eden D112XLT, Nemesis NSP210, or Aguilar DB210 (not sure of the price on that one though).

• Members

I can atest to the Aguilar cabs. I have the GS-112's and they sound really REALLY good. The DB series are nice as well, they have a more vintage tone to them. I think the GS are nice and modern sounding...and since I go for a modern tone with a vintage twist...they work perfectly. Couple that with a Markbass LMII and you've got yourself a killer little rig!

I just played a show with mine last night. My drummer is loud...like really loud (captain fathead would agree) and my guitarists aren't exactly quiet either. After hearing from everyone last night, they all said that the bass was too loud! My tiny little mini rig was too loud! AWESOME!!! :thu::):lol: :lol: :lol:

• Members

I can atest to the Aguilar cabs. I have the GS-112's and they sound really REALLY good. The DB series are nice as well, they have a more vintage tone to them. I think the GS are nice and modern sounding...and since I go for a modern tone with a vintage twist...they work perfectly. Couple that with a Markbass LMII and you've got yourself a killer little rig!

I just played a show with mine last night. My drummer is loud...like really loud (captain fathead would agree) and my guitarists aren't exactly quiet either. After hearing from everyone last night, they all said that the bass was too loud! My tiny little mini rig was too loud! AWESOME!!!
:thu::):lol:
:lol:
:lol:

I wouldn't say the bass was too loud, I'd say the guitarists were too quiet ;)

But yea, I was surprised at how much volume came out of that stack.

• Members

Are those Aguilar 112's too narrow to fit a rack on top without the sides sticking out? I'm only concerned because I intend on getting a 4U rack case dealie and don't want it to look weird sitting on top
:D

Yes, but most 1X12's are. It'll be fine. You could always put the rack on the side as well. That's what I would do...

• Members

I don't know why you need so much power for a "warm and cozy" venue. An Ampeg V4B or a Fender Showman should be ideal for gigs like that and they'll sound warm and cozy through just about any cab you choose.

There's probably zero chance of finding either of those in Australia though.

Archived