HOLY CRAP!!!

Guttermouth

• Moderators

wow

you're doing all that ^ and still working a regular 9-5?? i'm impressed
:)

I like to DO things. I have a few minor home remodeling/repair projects, all that reading you gave me, I'm going to start giving more bass lessons now that my first student has flown to bluer skies, etc...

• Members

Oh my.
:eek::love:

Speaking of which, I'm on the hunt for a foxy babe. Get the word out to any nice single women in the Chicagoland area.
:thu:

no better time than the summer to visit down south. the high humidity has a tendency to make women wear less clothing. :)

• Moderators

man - i got the neatest amp in for repair this week. it's a 100 watt acoustic tube head. never been in one before so it should be an adventure
looks like this:

http://acoustic.homeunix.net/twiki/pub/Acoustic/GuitarTubeHead160/acoustic_160_tube_1.1.jpg

That looks sharp. I haven't been inside a graphic EQ yet. I need to see what those are all about. Yesterday Catphish brought over his Aggie preamp. What a clean layout that was. Wasted space in order to make it a full size box, but clean and pretty on the inside. I should have taken some shots of it. Damn.

• Members

That looks sharp. I haven't been inside a graphic EQ yet. I need to see what those are all about. Yesterday Catphish brought over his Aggie preamp. What a clean layout that was. Wasted space in order to make it a full size box, but clean and pretty on the inside. I should have taken some shots of it. Damn.

most of the graphics i've worked on have just been an extra little board with a buffer attached to the end of the tone stack then connected to the slider assembly.i may have an old mesa mark series or acoustic schematic if you wanna give em a look see.

i would loved to have seen the inside of that aggie. i've been hoarding preamp shematics and layouts here lately just out of curiosity :)

• Members

Catphish said he asked Aguilar for a schematic at one point and they told him that they didn't even have schematics when they built them. Seriously.

I will get pictures of it sometime soon and send them to you.

yeah - alot of companies have gotten weird about schematics over the last couple of years.

i actually called a pretty well known guitar amp company last year to get a schematic for a customer's amp and they told me i'd have to sign a "non-disclosure" agreement to get it.

i told em to kiss off and the owner actually told me the component value i needed from memory over the phone whilst on the floor at namm.

i'd love to see those pics if you get a chance to take em :thu:

here's a mesa schematic with the graphic eq (upper left)

• Members

Ian - do you ever work on instruments or just amps and pedals?

i do mostly pedal and amp work but i do occasionally get to work on instruments (maybe 2 a month?)

i've actually got a guitar in right now that i'm rebuilding.both sides of the neck pocket were gone and i'm changing the profile to better fit the customers hands (small woman).

instrument work is waay more satisfying (maybe cause it's a bit more physical??) but there's already a couple of luthiers around here and gibson is right down the road in nashville.

• Members

When you reshape a neck profile, what do you do to refinish the neck when you are done?

lately i've been using the reranch nitro. it cures up pretty quickly (for nitro),sprays nice and even and buffs out well.i have sent stuff out to a local car painter and it came back looking killer but the wait is longer than what i like ( you have to wait untill they spray something the color you want or pay the insane cost for a quart of paint or topcoat).

i don't really do enough refinish work to justify getting a whole spray rig and mixing my own stuff but, it sure would be nice.

you do more instruments than electronics don't you?

• Moderators

The Ian I've been learning from has a whole setup, but even refinishing a neck would be several hundred. I'd like to be able to do things on the cheap and reranch looks like a good bet.

I have done a whole lot of fretwork, instrument electronics and setup work in the past year. Everyone has an instrument that needs work, not everyone has an amp that needs something. I'm just doing everything I can get my hands on to learn everything I can learn.

• Members

The Ian I've been learning from has a whole setup, but even refinishing a neck would be several hundred. I'd like to be able to do things on the cheap and reranch looks like a good bet.

I have done a whole lot of fretwork, instrument electronics and setup work in the past year. Everyone has an instrument that needs work, not everyone has an amp that needs something. I'm just doing everything I can get my hands on to learn everything I can learn.

well technically my airbrush can spray the thicker stuff but, even with the widest needle it's damn hard to lay down a flat coat if the paint is the least bit thick.

that stuff gets soo expensive so quick i just cant lay out the dough on the chance that i might get more refinish work.the reranch stuff is pretty high quality when it;s applied right so i wouldn't hesitate to use it on anything :thu:

doing everything you can to learn is the way to do it.there's so little formal training in the musical instrument /amplification fields that the only way left to learn is to do it and find an old guy who knows it all to show you things you can't find in books.

it might sound weird but my best friend is a 65 year old guy that's been in the music business all his life. if i get stuck in an amp that i'm not familiar with you can be damn sure he knows the answer. when i got into tubes there was him and one other guy around that still knew about them. the other guy just retired ( and took his schematics with him :rolleyes:)so there's one less guy around to learn from.

i'm interested to see what happens 20 years from now when someone needs and old valco repaired.:freak:

• Moderators

I just finished another instrument tonight and holy crap did it come out nice. These Squires can be turned into really really nice instruments as long as you start with a decently light weight body.

I just opened up this Hughes & Kettner BassBase 400. It is a bit noisy and I figured I'd take a look. Without a schematic this amp is daunting to my barely trained eye.

IMG_7991.jpg

I think now is as good a time as any to get some sleep. :thu:

• Members

I just finished another instrument tonight and holy crap did it come out nice. These Squires can be turned into really really nice instruments as long as you start with a decently light weight body.

I just opened up this Hughes & Kettner BassBase 400. It is a bit noisy and I figured I'd take a look. Without a schematic this amp is daunting to my barely trained eye.

I think now is as good a time as any to get some sleep.

nothing wrong with a squier if it's set up right :thu:

as far as that amp goes - alot of the times in solid state circuits you'll get a leaky cap in the power section that will let noise and {censored} into the signal.

if you run signal from the preamp or line out and you're not getting noise that'll let you know where in the circuit it is.

just start probing and see if you can track down some renegade dc or voltages that are out of whack. if not... it's scope time :thu:

and yes, it's bedtime for bonzo :)

Archived