eBay Score!

Thunderbroom

• Members

microSDHC_4GB_lg.jpg

These just came out and I couldn't find one at Staples, Best Buy or Circuit City today. I even checked online at Newegg.

So, I started looking on eBay. There were only about 5 or 6 auctions. I did a doubletake when I saw the one that read:

$0.01 BIN

$5.99 Shipping

The seller has a 100% feedback rating and nearly 29,000 auctions. It's a customer return but was tested and is fully-functional.

This list price is $99, and the other auctions had them ~$70 shipped.

• Members

Hmm, I couldn;t get a 2gb micro-SD to work in my phone (Samsung E600). But it seems to work fine in my camera.
:confused:
Anybody have any ideas why?

Oh, and well done, T.broom!

My phone accepts microSD cards. This one is microSDHC. My understanding is the formfactor is the same but the technology is different. I guess the new technology allows for packing more data on the card.

• Members

Now let's just see if/when I get it AND if it actually works in my phone/pda. According to the manufacturer, it won't; however, there are folks online that have this exact card and it works flawlessly.

Depends on the device. Caution, geek content follows...

There's no new technology in SDHC, they just format the card differently ;)

Some of you may remember smaller hard drives and back when DOS and Windows had a 16 bit file allocation table - FAT16, for short. 16 bit address space limits hard drive space to 2GB since there isn't enough room in a 16 bit file allocation table to address all those sectors.

As hard drives got bigger MS designed and released FAT32 and a theoretical upper limit of 2 terabytes for a disk partition.

*If* the device supports FAT32 then you can use the 4gb card. Most cell phones and cameras don't - and more importantly, most portable card readers don't either :(

My camera does support FAT32 cards but my cheapo Rosewill cardreader did not so I had to spend a few bucks for a new cardreader. Not a real big deal, though :)

You say people are using that card so you'll probably be fine, but if you use an external cardreader that might need to be replaced.

• Members

You say people are using that card so you'll probably be fine, but if you use an external cardreader that might need to be replaced.

Thanks for the clarification AG!

My phone (HTC Mogul) syncs with my desktop and shows up as another drive so moving files back/forth is really easy.

Based on your understanding of the technology, do you think my device would read the even higher capacity cards (Sansdisk has an 8gb card now) that are on their way if it will read the 4GB?

• Members

My Razr *doesn't* support large cards but I don't have anything on the damn card anyway so a 1GB card works just fine. Those things are almost free now
:)

The Mogul is shizznit!

I've never had a Windows Mobile device but am totally digging it.

Here's my customized screen:

thunderbroom01a.jpg

• Members

That's the same paint image I've used as a PC desktop for years - I just resized it and uploaded it to the phone ;)

I think we've talked about that wallpaper once before. Tried to find a link for you but I think the site is offline now. I've got it in 1680x1050 and I guess you could resize it to any size you want if you're interested ;)

Archived