Help me before I throw my Tony Franklin out the window!

willsellout

• Members

So when we had a flood in our house I had to move all the basses into the garage which screwed up the setups on all my basses. I have the Ibanez and SB2 playing like old but the TF is pissing me the {censored} off. First, I have the bridge saddle on the D string buzzing a bit which I can't get rid of. Second I have been trying to find a happy medium between string height and relief and every time I get it where I want it I have severe fret buzzing on one or two spots on the D and G strings. It's almost like the truss rod isn't affecting the treble side..almost. I have it playably currently but I'm starting to worry the fretboard isn't leveled properly or something. I can visibly see relief on the bass side but can't see any really on the treble side..what am I doing wrong? I don't have a whole lot of experience setting up fretless basses but then again I've never had a problem getting the strings right on the fretboard on a fretless without buzzing until now.

Dan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So when we had a flood in our house I had to move all the basses into the garage which screwed up the setups on all my basses. I have the Ibanez and SB2 playing like old but the TF is pissing me the {censored} off. First, I have the bridge saddle on the D string buzzing a bit which I can't get rid of. Second I have been trying to find a happy medium between string height and relief and every time I get it where I want it I have severe fret buzzing on one or two spots on the D and G strings. It's almost like the truss rod isn't affecting the treble side..almost. I have it playably currently but I'm starting to worry the fretboard isn't leveled properly or something. I can visibly see relief on the bass side but can't see any really on the treble side..what am I doing wrong? I don't have a whole lot of experience setting up fretless basses but then again I've never had a problem getting the strings right on the fretboard on a fretless without buzzing until now.

Dan

holy carp. maybe you should give it a rest until morning. sometimes just getting away for a few hours will help tremendously

• Members

holy carp. maybe you should give it a rest until morning. sometimes just getting away for a few hours will help tremendously

This is the second time I've tried to get this thing where I want it. I waited two days since last time to attempt it. It's playable, but right now it's no fun to play. I'm having doubts about Fenders QC now which scares me.

Dan

• Members

+1

If it's just in from the garage, that, combined with the relative instability of the new woods, might be screwing with the setup.

Give it a couple days to get adjusted.

• Members

+1

If it's just in from the garage, that, combined with the relative instability of the new woods, might be screwing with the setup.

Give it a couple days to get adjusted.

It's been inside the house for the past two weeks. I waited to adjust it to make sure it settled in. I'm reminded now of why I hate new basses..the whole break in that they go through.

Dan

• Members

It's been inside the house for the past two weeks. I waited to adjust it to make sure it settled in. I'm reminded now of why I hate new basses..the whole break in that they go through.

Dan

Think of it like a baby-be patient with it.

:blah:;)

• Members

This is the second time I've tried to get this thing where I want it. I waited two days since last time to attempt it. It's playable, but right now it's no fun to play. I'm having doubts about Fenders QC now which scares me.

Dan

thats just my experience. fender does occasionally have some QC problems but if it was OK before then you should be able to get it back. maybe take it to get setup. it might be worth the $$$. then you would have a guarantee.

• Members

thats just my experience. fender does occasionally have some QC problems but if it was OK before then you should be able to get it back. maybe take it to get setup. it might be worth the $$$. then you would have a guarantee.

I would normally have no problem getting it setup professionally...there isn't anyone in town that can do it though so I'm on my own.

Dan

• Members

First of all and most important, I am NOT an expert, nor did I sleep in a Holiday express last night. But, you mentioned a flood in your place. You have mucho moisture around where you live. You have temperature extemes like summer & winter. You also have a franklin fenfer which I don't know a lot about, but if it's fashioned after old school design, it's even more finicky. You know that as the old fnders age & dry out the sound tends to "open up". But the older design technology is still finicky and subject to conditions such as heat/cold & humidity. Hey it's wood, how can you blame QC from the factory? Don't blame the worker that built it 20 years ago. (Except that sloppy neck pocket maybe.)

Blame (whoever) made the tree that the wood came from. :blah: Inferior material that changes with outside conditions. :mad:

Guess that's why we invented carbon fiber.

I just accept that I need to adjust and maintain my setups more often than the average Joe bass. And personally, I think fretless is even more persnicketty. Just give it some time. It'll settle in.:thu:

• Members

Any bass..and I mean all the way up to Wal, Status, Alembic etc can suffer from neck twist. Sometimes it just happens. Get it to someone who can really evaluate the situation.

It doesn't look twisted to me...but the problem is that I don't have anyone near me that I can take it to. There are no local luthiers or repairmen around.

Dan

• Members

First of all and most important, I am NOT an expert, nor did I sleep in a Holiday express last night. But, you mentioned a flood in your place. You have mucho moisture around where you live. You have temperature extemes like summer & winter. You also have a franklin fenfer which I don't know a lot about, but if it's fashioned after old school design, it's even more finicky. You know that as the old fnders age & dry out the sound tends to "open up". But the older design technology is still finicky and subject to conditions such as heat/cold & humidity. Hey it's wood, how can you blame QC from the factory? Don't blame the worker that built it 20 years ago. (Except that sloppy neck pocket maybe.)

Blame (whoever) made the tree that the wood came from.
:blah:
Inferior material that changes with outside conditions.
:mad:
Guess that's why we invented carbon fiber.

I just accept that I need to adjust and maintain my setups more often than the average Joe bass. And personally, I think fretless is even more persnicketty. Just give it some time. It'll settle in.
:thu:

I hear you and agree...but It's had two weeks to adjust and the temps and humidity have been pretty even through that time. I don't think anything is actually wrong with the neck or the trussrod that can't be fixed. The only thing I can think is that the neck isn't planed evenly. I look at this and then look at my SB2 or even my Ibanez and say"Why can't you be more like your brother?":D

Dan

• Members

I hear you and agree...but It's had two weeks to adjust and the temps and humidity have been pretty even through that time. I don't think anything is actually wrong with the neck or the trussrod that can't be fixed. The only thing I can think is that the neck isn't planed evenly. I look at this and then look at my SB2 or even my Ibanez and say"Why can't you be more like your brother?":D

Dan

Don't say that...it will only continue to act out and resent you later in life.

Best of luck, I'm sure it will work out in the end, its just getting from point A to point B thats a struggle.

• Members

Don't say that...it will only continue to act out and resent you later in life.

Best of luck, I'm sure it will work out in the end, its just getting from point A to point B thats a struggle.

I don't want to say it but {censored} the Ibanez came from Maryland to Oregon in summer and it was perfectly setup when it arrived. The SB2 hasn't really needed a setup since I owned it. I'm not a fan of finicky basses in general.

Dan

• Members

Like I said, give it some time. Years dude.

The carvin in my avatar is the same way as your TF after 10 years. There's no hope for it, Constant adjusting, at least twice a year. (It's just too thin, I think.) But my MIM 60's Jazz is just great after only 3 years. Fully settled in. She don't want to move; that neck is so tight.It's wood and every bass is different. Just like peeples.

• Members

Like I said, give it some time. Years dude.

The carvin in my avatar is the same way as your TF after 10 years. There's no hope for it, Constant adjusting, at least twice a year. (It's just too thin, I think.) But my MIM 60's Jazz is just great after only 3 years. Fully settled in. She don't want to move; that neck is so tight.It's wood and every bass is different. Just like peeples.

Here's the thing though. I learned from Pete Hanewinckel; Wood that has been properly cared for and given time to adjust and settle will be extremely stable. this is why my SB2 is like a rock. This was why my Hanewinckel, which had the thinnest neck front to back never moved. When I had the Fender out in the garage for a week, it got out of whack which doesn't inspire hope for me. Of course not all bass companies have years to devote to stabilizing their wood. I think the neck that I had on my Hanewinckel was 8 years old. I'm just a set it and forget it kind of guy..and if my basses constantly need adjusting, they will be gone. Not to say the TF is going anywhere, it just needs some work right now.

Dan

• Members

i hate to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like the moisture where you live has started some neck twist.

i've had a couple of guitars (both gibsons) that did that and never could get them straight again. you might try tightening the string tension on the side that is lower and loosening it on the higher side and let it sit somewhere really dry for a week or two .but, short of having someone put it in a vacuum press i don't know of any other ways to fix it.

• Members

While not a fretless player, my fretless friends tell me to shoot for a dead-straight neck, with your sting heights over the high end of the fingerboard at around 2-2.5mm for the E tapering to 1.5 mm for the G. Most of us don't have a drawerful of StewMac tools, so you can check the straightness of the board with the short side of a framing square if you have one. Make sure you're tuned up to pitch. And with a relatively young instrument, don't be surprised if it doesn't move all at once right now: Generally it'll do some now, and finish it's change over the next day or two.

Wood is wood is wood, and NEW basses can be a handful. I own five five-strings. One is a year old, a custom built for me by one the best. When I finished off the 'factory' strings it came with and put my usual set on, I chased a few mm's clearance in relief for two months before I got it where I wanted it. On a handbuilt bass with all wood stored in climate control/controlled humididty for at least a year before they used it for my axe.

Of the other four, they range in age from 1988 to 1996, and yes, they NEVER move as they're old enough where all the wood, glue, finish, tension, etc. has leveled out. It's just the nature of wood.

If you can, try and use the square, a good little 6" measure, feeler guages for the relief: Your eyes can and will lie to you trying to 'eyeball' such small fractions of an inch, ESPECIALLY when you're aggravated.

And if you're at all like me, the more frustrated you get, the worse the bass seems to go somewhere you DON'T want it to go! Sometimes my best set up tip is to play your old ones for several days then come back to the problem child with a clear head and heart!

• Members

Thanks for the reply.

I have a question now. I recently changed strings to a very light set of TI Superalloys. I think the E string is like .095 or something. Could the light string gauge be screwing with me here?

Dan

Absolutely it could. Especially if you have environmental issues.

Archived