How much signal is too much?

dabbler

• Members

Silly question # 9,563, How do you know whether or not your bass' signal is too hot?

I have 2 modified SX SJB75 5 stringers that are louder than any of my other passive basses. The SJBs have Allparts alnico J pups in them. I wasn't too worried about this until I turned my amp (Behringer BX600) up and heard the speaker bottoming out! :eek: None of my other passive basses make my amp do this, and the funny thing was, except for that thwap thwap sound, the sound was clean. :confused:

So I'm not worried about overloading the preamp (on THIS amp), but for the speakers' sake should I lower the pups or just the volume knobs on my basses? Oh yeah, I was slapping when I did this so does this mean the transients out of the bass are exaggerated? I'll have to try it again playing normally, I was just so flabbergasted when I heard it that I just unplugged it and started playing another bass.

And in case someone actually remembers, there WAS an issue with the BX600s having the wrong speakers in them (too low power rating). I have taken mine out and it is what it's supposed to be (75 or 100 watts, I forget which) so THAT is not the issue (even though I know at least half of you are going to say I need to get a better amp, and I will... but not right now).

• Members

I don't know much about Behringer (except I've heard that they're crappy - no offense), but most good amps have a preamp clip light and/or output clip light (mine has both).

Set your input signal (gain) as high as you can without clipping your preamp, then crank your master up as much as you want, without lighting up the output clip light. If all this doesn't get you the signal/volume that you want, it's time to change amps.

• Members

You paid
how
much

Actually I got a REALLY good deal on it.

DB-359 - Retail: $3K Normally goes for $1500 used

GS 410 - Retail: $899 Normally goes for $500 used

GS 115 - Retail: $599 Normally goes for $400 used

Total Retail: $4500 Total Used: $2400 Total I paid: $1500!!! HA HA HA!!!!

• Members

Dude, you obviously got screwed. You paid
how
much and they couldn't even throw in an LED or two to make you feel better? One more reason to buy a Genz...

Ok, Ok guys, settle down. I'm not dissing anybody's gear here. But the truth is that they're not "fancy lights", they're just a tool to help you prevent destroying your drivers. And yes, most amps that I've seen have them, including some Aguilar (which I've heard good things about) and Genz (more good things) models.

Personally, I've found it easy to overwhelm an amp with signal and so yes, those little lights do "make me feel better". I'm not raggin you for not liking them if you don't, but don't rag me cuz I do.

Peace.

• Members

Ok, Ok guys, settle down. I'm not dissing anybody's gear here. But the truth is that they're not "fancy lights", they're just a tool to help you prevent destroying your drivers. And yes, most amps that I've seen have them, including some Aguilar (which I've heard good things about) and Genz (more good things) models.

Personally, I've found it easy to overwhelm an amp with signal and so yes, those little lights do "make me feel better". I'm not raggin you for not liking them if you don't, but don't rag me cuz I do.

We are all just kidding! I could really care less if you or anybody else liked my gear. I like it...and that's all that matters to me! :)

• Members

We are all just kidding! I could really care less if you or anybody else liked my gear. I like it...and that's all that matters to me!
:)

Cool. No offense taken or given. But I have a question. Your amp is very nice, high-end stuff. Does it really not have any clipping indicators? Just wonderin...

• Members

That reminds me of a basic I've done when shopping for amps for long time. If the amp couldnt handle most powerful bass I had or store had, wouldnt get it. cause wants amps whose pre's and built in auto limiters wouldnt fart out with open E. Of course ones signal can get too hot. Signal strength into amp swoint hurt speakers. But if the speakers cant handle the amps freq responce ability then that can. Is why guitar speakers fore xample get blown by bass signal.

• Members

Does it really not have any clipping indicators? Just wonderin...

Nope...it really doesn't. The only light that it has is power...and of course the nice warm glow of tubes.

All of my other amps...Mesa and Markbass both have one...

See: (Not my EQ settings BTW)

DSC_0009-1.jpg

• Members

We are all just kidding! I could really care less if you or anybody else liked my gear. I like it...and that's all that matters to me!
:)

Well, I wasn't, you boutique-amp-lovin', metal-playin', Nor-Easter! :mad::p;):D

Yeah, LED's don't really matter. In fact, my GK has like 3 or 4 of them...which doesn't matter when the poor amp never gets turned on... :(

To the OP - I'd check pickup height, like Kindness said.

• Members

You really have to look at the type of sound it made. A speaker won't bottom out from too much signal at your bass, that's what the knob labeled 'volume' is for on your amp. If you are driving the input too hard you will hear some pretty obvious distorted sounds, if you have the Bass knob turned way up, you might be causing issues with an over-use of EQ. try screwing the pickups a little closer to the body of the bass, see if that helps, run your EQ flat and play slowly raising the volume and see where it farts on you.

• Members

The "thwap thwap" sound makes me thing your pickups are too high and you are hitting the pole pieces with your strings.

If not, just turn down the gain/volume.

Ding, ding ding! And yes I feel stupid. The original pups had exposed poles, and I knew what it sounded like when the strings hit them. The new ones are covered, and well, I really didn't understand what that thwap was. :freak:

Anyways, 2 lessons learned:

1. It's amazing the difference one full turn of the mounting screws can make.

2. When pups get closer they emphasize the bottom end significantly, the tone on these 2 are now more like my other basses. (This is going to take some getting used to).

Thanks Kindness.

• Members

Actually I got a REALLY good deal on it.

DB-359 - Retail: $3K Normally goes for $1500 used

GS 410 - Retail: $899 Normally goes for $500 used

GS 115 - Retail: $599 Normally goes for $400 used

Total Retail: $4500 Total Used: $2400 Total I paid: $1500!!! HA HA HA!!!!

You got it that cheap cos they removed all the lights!! :mad:

That's one of the reasons I love my GK. It has a happy blue glowing light that makes me feel all fuzzy and warm. Not cos it sounds awsome and is tiny, those things don't REALLY matter do they?!

It's all about little glowing lights...

Ok this thread's gone silly :D

Anyway.

Idea: for people who are light-less... why doesn't someone invent some sort of additional signal indicator? Maybe you can have it in a chain between the amp and the cab? I don't really know the technical side of this stuff so it's just a guess...

Archived