Bach on bass

Anti-Product

• Members

Hey everybody, I usually lurk here, but it's summer and there's nothing to do. With that said, I don't know how many of you have played the bach on bass book, but I'm doing it for my lessons and I'd like to share a video of me playing one of them with you-Suite #2 in D Minor Second Movement.

I hope this thread is taken more seriously than 'some kid showing off in a video', because the book has helped tremendously with my sight reading, and I highly recommend it. Just remember to look away from the evil tabs!

• Members

Hey everybody, I usually lurk here, but it's summer and there's nothing to do. With that said, I don't know how many of you have played the bach on bass book, but I'm doing it for my lessons and I'd like to share a video of me playing one of them with you-Suite #2 in D Minor Second Movement.

I hope this thread is taken more seriously than 'some kid showing off in a video', because the book has helped tremendously with my sight reading, and I highly recommend it. Just remember to look away from the evil tabs!

drummers love that kind of bass:wave:

• Members

Yea, I was just reading that. Some days, I seem to get more dynamics and 'feel' than others, and that was not a good day, but that's a crappy excuse. I'm confused as to what the drummers comment is implying.

sorry...bad comment...i play like that on some songs and last time in the middle of a set...the drummer threw down his sticks ..jumped over to me and said..

listen you ought to stop playing melody and concentrate more on rhythm..

we have an ongoing war..he says he is a bassist and doesnt know any scales but can pronounce arpeggio...but not arpeggii

your playing is technical..what sax players call a good mechanic...

it really needs heart and flow which will come when you stop concentrating on the map so much

ie..more practice and memorising

wish i could play that well though..and i love bach..i used to play oboe so i got to know a lot of his works...the inventions etc

god bless..and dont lurk so much:love:

• Members

Haha, I see. Well I'm not planning on playing this with a drummer, I am planning on taking all these comments to heart and practicing this ad nauseam, along with the C major one that I'm working on for my lessons now. And by the way, that's awesome! I play oboe now, I used to, then stopped for a year or so, and now I'm playing again and it's much more fun than I remember!

• Members

Haha, I see. Well I'm not planning on playing this with a drummer, I am planning on taking all these comments to heart and practicing this ad nauseam, along with the C major one that I'm working on for my lessons now. And by the way, that's awesome! I play oboe now, I used to, then stopped for a year or so, and now I'm playing again and it's much more fun than I remember!

i played for about 7 years on and off with sax and clarinet in pit orchestras and light classical..

loved those times when i could wallow in my solos..schubert etc

eventually the reeds got to me..i made my own...they got too much of a hassle keeping about 3 on the go in a concert

so i went full time on sax and clarinet

its a fab instrument though and i think the most expressive

• Members

Really good. For a tip if you're reading, copy what you're reading onto 11x17 sheets so you don't have to flip, it'll make life easier. A few techniques could be a little cleaner for tonal purposes, but I'm not that nitpicky.

Really good...:confused:

More like 'some kid showing off in a video' :mad:

:D

Nice work anti - like crow said, I'd love to be able to play that well. Nice selection too. Keep up the good work...:thu:

• Members

Nice reading skills and good tone and playing!

A couple of the notes were "buzzy" though, might want to work on that.

Maybe you can incorporate a small amount of cello style vibrato to liven up some of the notes?

Keep up the good work - especially the sight reading - that'll prime you for studio work!

• Members

Nice reading skills and good tone and playing!

Maybe you can incorporate a small amount of cello style vibrato to liven up some of the notes?

Keep up the good work - especially the sight reading - that'll prime you for studio work!

+1

Keeping up with reading music in general will help immensely in broadening your horizons.

Also, if you get a chance, check out Dmitri Rostropovich's recordings of the Bach Cello Suites as a nice reference. Good start!

Archived