Help Me Tweak/Upgrade My Ibanez Roadstar Bass

Buck62

• Members

Okay, here's the situation. I have two basses. One is a 1983 Ibanez Roadstar II bass that has a great neck and is easy for me to play because I'm old (45) and have arthritis setting in... AND I'm a guitar player who uses my bass mostly for recording. I've owned this bass for 20 years. My other bass is an Epiphone Thunderbird, which I actually LOVE the tone... but the long scale and the way the neck protrudes far away from the body is very uncomfortable for me for longer periods of time... like when I'm recording. I posted awhile back about selling both of these basses and getting something new to get the best of both worlds... comfort and better tone. But now I'm re-thinking it.

Okay, so the tone of the Thunderbird is kind of bright and punchy, yet still has a nice bottom end. Think "Rickenbacker 4001" and you're in the ballpark with it's tone. Ballsy bottom, less mid, defined trebly punch. The Ibanez has aftermarket EMG pickups, which sound pretty decent live, but a little less "defined" in a mix, lacking that treble I'm looking to get. The strings are probably 4 or 5 years old and I have no idea what they are because it's been awhile and I forgot what I put on it.

Conventional wisdom might say to pop the pickups from the Thunderbird and put them in the Roadstar, but that would basically kill the value of the T-Bird and prevent me from selling it, which is what I'll have to do in order to upgrade the Ibanez.

Soooo... what I need to know is... should I replace the EMG's from the Roadstar and try to brighten the tone by changing to certain strings and new pickups?

Or.... should I just change the strings to something brighter and use something like the Duncan SFX-06 paranormal to get the sound I'm looking for from the Roadstar?

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--SEMSFX06

Oh, and the EMG's are a mixed pair. The bridge pickup is creme colored, and the neck pickup is black, so it looks kind of strange and semi-ugly. That's kind of what makes me want to replace them, preferably with a soapbar type pair, which is what the Roadstar originally had. I'd also like to put a nice looking pickguard on it if I do.

Anyway... what would be the best way to do this?

• Members

I'd say that just about any kind of strings besides flats will give you a much much brighter sound than the 4 or 5 year old ones you're using now. Try replacing the strings before you think of doing anything else.

+1

After that, you could consider a pick-up replacement. I replaced the stock pickup in my Fender (Squier) P-bass with the Seymour-Duncan Quarter Pound pickup. Much brighter and heavier. Some people love them, others don't - YMMV.

John

• Members

Strings would help tremendously. Stainless Steels would be the brightest you could get...they are all that I use now.

My advice would be sell them both and buy a Stingray. Punchy, good ergonomics, just an all around great bass. Check out the different models they make...H, H/S. H/H...

If you like J bass neck better...or just a smaller neck for that arthritis, try a Sterling...

I think you'd be very pleasantly surprised.

• Members

The Thunderbird and the Roadstar II have the same 34" scale.

Ibanez pickups from this era are great, no real reason to change them.

I vote for a pro setup and new strings, steel wrap for the bright tone and a pretty light jauge since you're developping arthritis. Maybe 35-95.

• Members

Okay, so I should go with roundwound stainless strings?

Something like these...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DR-Strings-Hi-Beams-4-String-Bass-Medium?sku=101126

or even these...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-ProSteels-EPS160-Medium-Gauge-Long-Scale-Bass-Strings?sku=104380

I notice that the DR's are .045, .065, .085, .105 guage and the XL's are .045, .065, .080, .100 guage, giving the DR's fatter A and E strings. Does that make a big difference? The reviews seem to be that the XL's are as bright as you can get (and cheaper in price).... would that be the better way to go???

• Members

DR makes a very nice string. It's what I use and I love them...

Thicker strings usually give a beefier tone. If I was playing rock/metal or anything liek that I'd go with the thicker set personally.

I play the lo-riders though, but those might not be for you because they have a higher tension...

• Members
DR makes a very nice string. It's what I use and I love them...

Thicker strings usually give a beefier tone. If I was playing rock/metal or anything liek that I'd go with the thicker set personally.

I play the lo-riders though, but those might not be for you because they have a higher tension...

So you use DR Heavies? What type of tunes you playin', GG? Do they have good tone on the G in the forth and fifth position? I am only asking because I'm going tomorrow to buy new strings for the beater Dean.

• Members

So you use DR Heavies? What type of tunes you playin', GG? Do they have good tone on the G in the forth and fifth position? I am only asking because I'm going tomorrow to buy new strings for the beater Dean.

I use the .45-.130 set of Stainless lo-riders on my 5ers and the .45-.105 set on the 4 bangers.

They have a very good consistent tone across the entire neck, but I'm sure that my basses have something to do with that. Especially the Modulus.

We play prog metal...all of the tracks on our myspace were recorded with the DR's...most of these songs are older as well. The new stuff is coming out KILLER!

• Members

Ahhh, the Roadstar. I have one and love it! I installed a Gotoh 201 bridge on mine from Warmoth and have Elixirs on both my basses. I also had Mike Lull install an Antiquity II PU on it in place of the DiMarzio P-model PU and I actually liked the DiMarzio better. What you are battling definition wise on your Ibanez is a Basswood body but what you get with it is sustain for days. I rather like it myself. Very warm.

• Members

I use the .45-.130 set of Stainless lo-riders on my 5ers and the .45-.105 set on the 4 bangers.

They have a very good consistent tone across the entire neck, but I'm sure that my basses have something to do with that. Especially the Modulus.

We play prog metal...all of the tracks on our myspace were recorded with the DR's...most of these songs are older as well. The new stuff is coming out KILLER!

Very cool. And I am sure that Modulus has something to do with that awesome tone.

Might have to check those strings out. My old Dean is a little fuzz down in the 5th. The extra tension maybe just what I need!

I couldn't figure out how to get music to play on your myspace. I don't know, maybe I'm clueless.

I will try again though.

Your probably not that far from me. I live just over the border in the mini state.

Give us a post of your upcoming gigs(or shoot me a PM if you'd rather), I'd love to meet you and check out the tunes live.

• Members

I couldn't figure out how to get music to play on your myspace. I don't know, maybe I'm clueless.

I will try again though.

Your probably not that far from me. I live just over the border in the mini state.

Give us a post of your upcoming gigs(or shoot me a PM if you'd rather), I'd love to meet you and check out the tunes live.

They should start playing automatically...

I live in Waterbury, and the band is out of Shelton. I'll definitely let you know when we have more gigs. We were supposed to play a show in Danielson, CT...and that's really close to RI. One of my coworkers is born & bread from RI too...so I can speak the RI lingo with you! :thu: I've read the RI dictionary...

• Members
They should start playing automatically...

I live in Waterbury, and the band is out of Shelton. I'll definitely let you know when we have more gigs. We were supposed to play a show in Danielson, CT...and that's really close to RI. One of my coworkers is born & bread from RI too...so I can speak the RI lingo with you!
:thu:
I've read the RI dictionary...

That funny. I lost my virginity in Oakville and I use to go to the Pinecrest Country Club, in Shelton, for outdoor shows, all the time. Went to about 10 different shows there. Saw Blondie there but my favorite was the 'Pinecrest Picnics". They had giant wood barrels of beer, lots of food, and great music. One year I got so drunk I ralphed on The feet of Aztec Two Step's frontman!!! Do ya know if that place is still there?

• Members

Ahhh, the Roadstar. I have one and love it! I installed a Gotoh 201 bridge on mine from Warmoth and have Elixirs on both my basses. I also had Mike Lull install an Antiquity II PU on it in place of the DiMarzio P-model PU and I actually liked the DiMarzio better. What you are battling definition wise on your Ibanez is a Basswood body but what you get with it is sustain for days. I rather like it myself. Very warm.

Okay, YOU are the guy I want to talk to, because you have the same bass.

Would a string-change alleviate my desire for the more defined tone?... or do I need to swap out the bridge pickup, too?

Or should I sell my T-Bird bass and find something that has the same punchy tone without the long-scale neck that is set so far from the body?

If the string-change and pickup swap would suffice, which bridge pickup would give me the best "treble" punch?

My existing pickups look like these.... (except the bridge pickup is creme colored and neck pickup is black)

EMG-PJ-Set.jpg

It would be nice to actually have a matching-colored set. But if I don't need a new bridge pickup, could I just change the cover????

HELP!!!! :freak::D:D

• Members

Nope...it's not. They knocked it down and built a {censored} load on condos. Expensive ones too...

I work in Shelton and I happen to drive past them every day on my way home.

Hey, I'm trying to get some info here!

You're hijacking my thread with all of your... :blah::blah:

:D:D:D:D:D

• Members

Hey, I'm trying to get some info here!

You're hijacking my thread with all of your...
:blah:
:blah:

Well sorry!!! :cry:

The first thing you should do is change those strings and see what happens. It's the cheapest option...as well as the easiest! I wouldn't worry about the pickups just yet.

Also, get a proper setup done, as it'll make playing easier. Pickup heights could also be at play here...so having a full setup should at least put you in a good position to really evaluate what it is that you don't like about the bass. Or perhaps fix everything that you didn't like...

What else do you want advice for? :)

• Members

Okay,
YOU
are the guy I want to talk to, because you have the same bass.

Would a string-change alleviate my desire for the more defined tone?... or do I need to swap out the bridge pickup, too?

Or should I sell my T-Bird bass and find something that has the same punchy tone without the long-scale neck that is set so far from the body?

If the string-change and pickup swap would suffice, which bridge pickup would give me the best "treble" punch?

My existing pickups look like these.... (except the bridge pickup is creme colored and neck pickup is black)

EMG-PJ-Set.jpg

It would be nice to actually have a matching-colored set. But if I don't need a new bridge pickup, could I just change the cover????

HELP!!!!
:freak::D
:D

Take the creme colored cover off and spray paint the thing flat black. If they don't match paint the other cover too. Get good strings. Done deal.

Seek pro help if your still not happy.

Check out these straps or something similar(maybe a double strap that goes over both shoulders) for the older body(I'm 47, with a pinched nerve in my neck and usually just sit, but this is needed, for me, for any lengthy stand up playing).

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/straps/levy_m29.htm

Buy Apple stock. (take a look at it's history. It just keeps going up!)

Archived