who plays the keyboard?

wilki29

• Members

I know a few of you do, I just remember who. Anyway, I need a suggestion on a cheap keyboard to get started on. I went over to the keyboard forum, but they keep recommending $500+ keyboards and synths that I dont need. I just need a cheap one thats under 300. I also need some kind of book to learn from. Any suggestions?

• Members

What is your aim?

Do you want a fun synth for making patches on?

Do you want to learn proper technique?

If it's the latter, go Casio Privia series fo' sho!

If you want a FUN synth, go with Roland's SH201 fo' sho!

I used to do sound design with FM synthesis as well as sampling, as well as others.

• Members

BOOYA!

88 keys, and everything else you need to get started.
:)

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-YAM-YPG525KIT.html#

If you spend a little more, you can get a digital piano.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-YAM-P70-PAK.html

That 1st Yammy is very nice IF you want more of a toy to play with.

As far as Yammy's pianos go, they're hit an' miss from my recent experience...you get what you pay for. Play it alongside the Privia and your eyes will be opened. :eek:

• Members

By the way, why the cutoff at $300. What's wrong with spending a couple hundred more? {censored}, play a few more gigs bro! I don't know of anything in the $300 range...unless you go used, of course.

But like cheap basses, get too cheap a 'board and you won't want to play it soon after you get it. Get something decent and the least bit inspiring.

• Members

By the way, why the cutoff at $300. What's wrong with spending a couple hundred more? {censored}, play a few more gigs bro! I don't know of anything in the $300 range...unless you go used, of course.

But like cheap basses, get too cheap a 'board and you won't want to play it soon after you get it. Get something decent and the least bit inspiring.

well the reason I dont want to spend much is because im just learning. I dont want a 500 dollar keyboard that wont get much playing time. My main goal is just to learn on it first, and then branch off from there. I will probably get a synth in the future to make some cool sounds, but until then I just want to learn.

• Members

Something about Casio, man. I just don't like 'em. They feel cheap, and don't sound right. Just my humble opinion.

Oh, I know what your sayin'. But the $500ish Privia KILLED everything under a grand in sound and feel(feel is VERY important in a weighted 'board). They look sharp to boot. :)

Also, don't forget about Casio's synth heritage- the CZ101 is hearalded as one of the best, and the CZ1 is highly respected. They've done a lot of cool things in the pro synth market like the VZ series that rocked too.

• Members

Something about Casio, man. I just don't like 'em. They feel cheap, and don't sound right. Just my humble opinion.

yea ive always been under the impression that they make cheaper entry level products, but 200 is pretty cheap, plus MF gives you free software with it. :p

• Members

yea ive always been under the impression that they make cheaper entry level products, but 200 is pretty cheap, plus MF gives you free software with it.
:p

Then, by all means, go for it! Hope you do try one before you buy it. :thu:

• Members

well the reason I dont want to spend much is because im just learning. I dont want a 500 dollar keyboard that wont get much playing time. My main goal is just to learn on it first, and then branch off from there. I will probably get a synth in the future to make some cool sounds, but until then I just want to learn.

If you only plan on learning the basics, then a 61 key 'board will work, but you'll soon exhaust that if your serious about actually learning.

Where I come from, you learn on an acoustic piano. Those run in the thousands. Not realistic in this day and age, I know. That's why $500ish is, honestly, a drop in the bucket. I was thrilled at the price/performance of the Privia. I played a $2K Yammie that blew my mind too ...but at $2K, you can buy a real piano too. :D

• Members

so what you are saying is that there is no SX type keyboard.

I think, at this point, the SH201 is the SX of the synth world...maybe the Alesis Micron.

Otherwise, the Casio Privia is definately the SX of the digital piano world.

Possibly another option would be getting a used/decent 88 key weighted controler and using some free softsynths(???).

• Members

I like the microkorg, but I'd hardly call it a "real keyboard" or anything that you can learn proper technique from. I used it quite a bit in my old band...even the presets were pretty great, and you get a vocoder as well, although i recommend using a different mic than the one that comes with it.

• Members

I like the microkorg, but I'd hardly call it a "real keyboard" or anything that you can learn proper technique from. I used it quite a bit in my old band...even the presets were pretty great, and you get a vocoder as well, although i recommend using a different mic than the one that comes with it.

Yeah, the MicroKorg gets a lot of attention. The reason I(and many other real keys players) recommended the SH201 over the MicroKorg and Micron is that it has full sized keys to start, and has all real time sliders-n-knobs o' my...and the D Beam controller is a riot. I recommended it if he was looking more for a SYNTH to play around with sound design. The SH201 is a perfect synth to start with. :)

• Members

As many have said before, there is no SX of keyboards. Bob offers the best advice looking used. You can likely find an Ensoniq VFX (I wouldn't go to an 80), or one of the Roland D- series (I'd go with a 20 or 50 first). There are DX series Yamahas, but people tend to love them or hate them, if you don't know, it's hard to say.

As to 88 keys, the only keyboard with that many is a piano. In rock & roll, 61 is usually plenty. 88 makes it easy to split parts (bass on left, organ on right, for example) but unless you're planning on playing Beethoven, you likely won't need that many.

Lastly, I have always stayed away from keyboards with built in speakers. They have limited sounds, lotsa features I don't need, and are troublesome on stage. STAY AWAY FROM MINI OR MID-SIZE KEYS!!!

The way to save money on keyboards is to be able to buy MIDI tone generators, since you get sounds without the keys, but you need keys, so no bargain there. If you find some things you'd like, I would be happy to offer an opinion on them. Just post or PM. Good luck! :thu:

• Members

If you find some things you'd like, I would be happy to offer an opinion on them. Just post or PM. Good luck!
:thu:

so what would you recommend in terms of 88 key keyboards? I think I want to learn to actually play. I just would like to keep the cost below 500. Also are there and books you would recommend to help get started with technique.

• Members

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-CAS-WK3800AD.html

I have an earlier version of this and it works just fine. Records pretty well too. It doesn't have weighted keys or anything, but at your budget for new gear it's probably one of the better ones out there.

if you're willin to go used I would find a nice used Alesis QS8 or QS7

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALESIS-QS8-1-64-Voice-88-Key-Weighted-Keyboard-QS-QS8_W0QQitemZ190140105526QQihZ009QQcategoryZ29552QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have one of these and they have a great stereo piano sound.

If your'e patient you can find them in the $360 range for the QS8. 88 weighted keys, digital out, and pretty damn good sound.

Archived