who plays the keyboard?

wilki29

• Members
so what would you recommend in terms of 88 key keyboards? I think I want to learn to actually play. I just would like to keep the cost below 500. Also are there and books you would recommend to help get started with technique.

First, honestly, I'd say (if you don't intend to play on-stage soon) a real piano. Many people sell them for $100 to $200 just to be rid of them. There's lots to watch for, though. Make sure it will hold tune, etc.

A real acoustic piano is much more like a bass or guitar than an electronic keyboard. Small changes in the way you hold your fingers, how you attack and release, curved fingers etc. really do affect the sound in profound ways.

If you don't want to go that far, then an electronic piano type might be best. The Casio Previas really do feel good for the price, but often don't have any line-outs for audio. Yamaha's top end 88-key units have the best action, IMHO (S-80, S-08, S-90). There is also the Ensoniq KP-32, an older synth (no speakers) type, but good weighted keys (if they aren't worn out).

I have played with the M-Audio 88 key controller, and HATED it! Way too spring-loaded, no real resistance. This will likely be true for most of the really cheap 88-key units. The Kurzweil units are reportedly pretty good, if you can find a used one.

As for books, I learned the old-fashioned way, starting in third grade, so I have little to offer here. From some guitar guys I've talked with, they really like video/DVD lessons as opposed to books. Usually, you're local library will have a number of them available, you don't even have to buy them!:thu:

If you read music, my piano teacher used the Bastien (Could be Bastein, it's been 25 years!!!) books, and was very happy with them. I think they have adult books as well. They do a very good job explaining theory as well. YMMV. Good luck!

• Members
First, honestly, I'd say (if you don't intend to play on-stage soon) a real piano. Many people sell them for $100 to $200 just to be rid of them. There's lots to watch for, though. Make sure it will hold tune, etc.

A real acoustic piano is much more like a bass or guitar than an electronic keyboard. Small changes in the way you hold your fingers, how you attack and release, curved fingers etc. really do affect the sound in profound ways.

If you don't want to go that far, then an electronic piano type might be best. The Casio Previas really do feel good for the price, but often don't have any line-outs for audio. Yamaha's top end 88-key units have the best action, IMHO (S-80, S-08, S-90). There is also the Ensoniq KP-32, an older synth (no speakers) type, but good weighted keys (if they aren't worn out).

I have played with the M-Audio 88 key controller, and HATED it! Way too spring-loaded, no real resistance. This will likely be true for most of the really cheap 88-key units. The Kurzweil units are reportedly pretty good, if you can find a used one.

As for books, I learned the old-fashioned way, starting in third grade, so I have little to offer here. From some guitar guys I've talked with, they really like video/DVD lessons as opposed to books. Usually, you're local library will have a number of them available, you don't even have to buy them!
:thu:

If you read music, my piano teacher used the Bastien (Could be Bastein, it's been 25 years!!!) books, and was very happy with them. I think they have adult books as well. They do a very good job explaining theory as well. YMMV. Good luck!

I dont have room for an actual piano unfortunatley, so the digital one are what im looking at. I may go with the casio previa since they are around 500 which isnt too bad. I think im gonna do some more searching and see if I cant find a good price on ebay or something. The library is a good idea for finding videos, or books, and I never really thought about that. All the info is great, and very helpful, and I appreciate it. Im glad I asked here before I went out and bought a POS keyboard.

• Members
I dont have room for an actual piano unfortunatley, so the digital one are what im looking at. I may go with the casio previa since they are around 500 which isnt too bad. I think im gonna do some more searching and see if I cant find a good price on ebay or something. The library is a good idea for finding videos, or books, and I never really thought about that. All the info is great, and very helpful, and I appreciate it. Im glad I asked here before I went out and bought a POS keyboard.

Last Christmas, Target was selling the one of the Previas for $300 or $400. Look around!:thu:

• Members
Last Christmas, Target was selling the one of the Previas for $300 or $400. Look around!
:thu:

Ive seen the lowest on the internet being 400(privia px110). Are these useable at gigs, or are they just good for home use and recording?

• Members

Get an old DX-7. They're not the greatest synth on the planet, but they're far from the worst.

Used to have on when they first came out and were all the rage. I preferred the Sequential Circuits stuff, but it was still a pretty nice synth....even if it is really dated now.

I can't believe what the Prophet 10 is gong for now.............

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sequential-Circuits-Prophet-10-Synth-with-Case-Remote_W0QQitemZ270152227195QQihZ017QQcategoryZ38071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I used to have one of these and it was a ton of fun

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sequential-Circuits-SIX-TRAK-SYNTH-Sythesizer_W0QQitemZ330155983832QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1287QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And a moog rogue

• Members

I think im going with the privia px100. I can get for around 425, which isnt too bad. Would you all recommend plugging it into my old behringer amp, or would that not work too well?

Try it out and tell us. I think you'll be impressed comparing it to other weighted pianos under a grand.

• Members

Try it out and tell us. I think you'll be impressed comparing it to other weighted pianos under a grand.

Yea I defenitley will. I may try and get up to the guitar center sometime soon. If I dont I may actually just buy it off reviews. I hate to do that, but it seems like a good buy.

• Members

Yes, you can run it through an old bass amp, but you'll need the adapter for 1/8" headphone to a pair of RCAs. You may find that the high end suffers a bit playing through a bass amp, but it'll do for now. My first "keyboard amp" was a Peavey TNT 100, with an added speaker out to run standalone piezo tweeters.

A few years ago, I sold that amp to my boss for his son. Earlier this year, I got to play bass through it at a company "jam".:thu:

• Members

Yes, you can run it through an old bass amp, but you'll need the adapter for 1/8" headphone to a pair of RCAs. You may find that the high end suffers a bit playing through a bass amp, but it'll do for now. My first "keyboard amp" was a Peavey TNT 100, with an added speaker out to run standalone piezo tweeters.

Nice, I have an adapter that I use so I can hook my headphones up to my practice amp which should work fine.

• Members

I am the keyboard player in my current band ICE PLANET ZERO and my rig (as of this writing) consists of this:

Front 2 Teirs:

Lower: Roland D-70 (Main Board)

Upper: Yamaha DX-27 MIDIed into a a Roland MC-303 (Lead/Solo Board)

Right Side 2 Teirs:

Lower: E-Mu Emax II Sampler

Upper: Roland JX8P ( used mainly for Analog Filter Sweeps/Analog FX/ and some soloing)

Mostly older {censored} but all decent...Got a lil of everything

If you are looking to learn synthesis then stay away from home/portable keyboards as they have very limited editing capabilities

As pointed out by T. Alan, there is a BIG difference in playing piano and playing keyboards

However, if you are looking for something to learn key/finger dexterity and recognizing chord "shapes" or to apply music theory to or even bring on stage to play parts, then newer portables are a fine way to go without emptying your wallet

As far as the Casios, I say go for it but I recommend to look into the WK Series. They may be made of lighter plastic and cheaper keys but they sound great and the MENUs are very Newbie Friendly

Also, the Yamaha PSR-292 Portable is a fantastic lil keyboard for the price

Also, DX-7s are fine ( Ive owned one before and its baby brother listed above is used as a controller for my solo board) but FM synthesis is FM synthesis -- a newer Casio WK is going to have a slew of sampled/digital sounds and be set up for General MIDI if you want to ever go that route -- plus it has FM patches including DX Piano -- so I would opt for a newer Casio WK-Series home keyboard over the old DX-7 -- but thats just me)

• Members

As far as the Casios, I say go for it but I recommend to look into the WK Series. They may be made of lighter plastic and cheaper keys but they sound great and the MENUs are very Newbie Friendly

I was thinking of getting a wk series, but I like how the privias have a full 88 keys, and are more like a piano.

• Members

I was thinking of getting a wk series, but I like how the privias have a full 88 keys, and are more like a piano.

Thats a good point, if you are looking to go the piano route and desire to understand the idiosyncracies and finesse of weighted or semi-weighted action. As T. Alan said before, there is a difference in playing piano and playing keyboards...Me? Im a bass player playing keyboards and, as a player, I have more in common with Hammond B3 players who have been playing non-weighted keys for decades. The advantage to technology is velocity sensitivity and aftertouch: as long as I have velocity sensitivity, non-weighted action is fine with me for simulating the finesse of a piano or its combos when recording or playing live. Plus, you yourself may have reasons to use a full 88-keys but, for me playing classic radio pop and to keep working, I have never ever had the need to use the bookend keys on a full keyboard. For me, 61-key non-weighted action keyboards ( my D-70 is 76 keys) already weigh enough but they still are a lot lighter and easier to tote around than an 88-key weighted action board...........

Im not shooting down anybody's points: everything mentioned in this thread deserves merit and from respected piers...Im just saying to do whats right for you for the budget that you got and what you want to get out of it.

"..tickle that plastic, DRF!" :D

Archived