OT: Anyone here a personal trainer?

Bass8987

• Members

I was looking at becoming a personal trainer at the Rec Center at my university. I have to take an exam (I believe it is called ACE). I know alot about working out, nutrition, and health in general. I basically want to know what the test is like and if the pay is any good? I figure it is a great second job I could do to get extra money. I don't want to be a personal trainer as a career.

I really enjoy working with people and helping people out, however, the thing that I wouldn't like about it is the people who have these lame ass excuses for pushing them hard when they work out and have lame ass excuses for not eating healthy. Basically, people who want results but want to do only the minimum.

• Members

In order to make money at it, you're gonna have to suppress the desire to tell people that they are lazy lumps. All you can do is reiterate (over and over and over) that you get back what you put in - time, effort, discipline, all are directly proportional to the payoff on the back end (no pun intended).

You're not a drill sergeant - you're a trainer. Keep it in mind. Also, lots of idiots get their certification. Don't be one - keep up to date on the latest training and nutrition, rather than just putting cookie-cutter workouts together and trying to shoehorn everyone into the same program.

• Members

however, the thing that I wouldn't like about it is the people who have these lame ass excuses for pushing them hard when they work out and have lame ass excuses for not eating healthy. Basically, people who want results but want to do only the minimum.

That'll be half of your clients if your gym is anything like the 4 gyms I've gone to over the last 10 years. Some people simply don't want to work hard. That being said, the other half that cares might be enough to make you not hate the job. Also, if you work at a gym, be prepared to get paid $10-20 of the $60-100 that the training session cost your client. Gyms make good money off of their trainers.

• Members

Also, if you work at a gym, be prepared to get paid $10-20 of the $60-100 that the training session cost your client. Gyms make good money off of their trainers.

Im pretty sure you can do freelance work. Its alos about how you market yourself. If you get enough clients, and you can prove yourself as a good trainer, then the sky is the limit.

Archived