I think I want a looper

Thunderbroom

• Members

I was practicing last night (great byproduct of having my internet down). I was noodling in the higher registers and was thinking about how cool it would be to be able to layer stuff. I've been asked numerous times to do a solo piece at my buddhist meetings but have declined. I'm convinced that I could come up with something cool if I could add some texture.

Here's what I know: I'd like to buy once so cost is the least concerning factor. Since I don't know jack about them, I'm open to suggestions.

• Members

There's the Boomerang, but I can't remember who makes it off hand.

Boss also makes one that's pretty popular with the acoustic guitar crowd that does looping like this (Howie Day, KT Tunstell's early stuff), but I can't remember the model name.

• Members

Well I have been wanting a Line 6 delay modeler (I think thats it... the green one anyways). I have used a few just fooling around with an organ and drum machine. It does looping, delay effects, reverse. I am just waiting a few years for the wife to approve.

My guitarist had the Line 6 for awhile. It worked well, but towards the end it started crapping out fairly consistently, and he babies his pedals.

He then went for the Boss RC20XL which is great, probably just right for what you want to do Thunderbroom. Very straightforward, easy to use, and works great. My guitarist has since upgraded to the RC50 which is massive, and complete overkill. Though it was some very sweet features.

I have the RC20XL now, and I enjoy it. Perfect for what I wanted to do with it, plenty of recording time, and like I said, quite intuitive.

• Members

Boomerang is made by Boomerang...look in the back of BP in the classifieds for an advert. Or google it. You can buy it direct, I believe.

Les Claypool uses it exclusively for his loops. 'tho I can't stand Les Claypool- another Myung with no auditory human soul. :mad:

• Members

If you want a simple, reliable tool, the Akai Headrush is your best bet.

Overdub, erase one step, tap tempo, all you need is here.

If you want more possibilities like keeping several lines in memory even when the machine is off, reverse loops and stuff, the Digitech Jamman is in my opinion the best idea.

Boss has very decent products (RC series) but I'm not a fan. Not very intuitive or user friendly.

• Members

My guitarist had the Line 6 for awhile. It worked well, but towards the end it started crapping out fairly consistently, and he babies his pedals.

I've heard the same story from two other units. On paper, they are sweet. But I've just head too many stories like this to buy one.

Yo.

• Members

After watching these videos, maybe I don't want a looper afterall.

:(

So...at what point does this become a crapshoot? I've scoped the loopers mentioned here and it seems like the Jam Man has "more" than the others. I'm not sure though is more is better.

Everybody starts somewhere! Maybe you'll come up with some cool way of looping no one has thought of yet. I would just start with whatever unit looks easiest and less intimidating to use, then you can upgrade to something more sophisticated later if you feel you really need more.

• Members

Steve Lawson was really very good at it.

I have an inkling as to how to approach it, but quite honestly as cool as it is in the hands of someone who's got it down, it's also very confining IMO.

Fripp can do it so well it's scary, but ultimately you've got a guy playing a little, twiddling a little and staring at his feet a lot.

• Members

After watching these videos, maybe I don't want a looper afterall.

:(

So...at what point does this become a crapshoot? I've scoped the loopers mentioned here and it seems like the Jam Man has "more" than the others. I'm not sure though is more is better.

If you want simplicity - ease of use, looping one or two parts and then playing over them, not worried about stopping/starting or deleting separate parts - then get a Headrush. There really is no substitute.

If you have one for a while, like the idea, but wish for more functionality, then sell it and upgrade to a more feature-rich unit. The JamMan does an awful lot in a small package.

Archived