I think I want a looper

Thunderbroom

• Members

If you want simplicity - ease of use, looping one or two parts and then playing over them, not worried about stopping/starting or deleting separate parts - then get a Headrush. There really is no substitute.

If you have one for a while, like the idea, but wish for more functionality, then sell it and upgrade to a more feature-rich unit. The JamMan does an awful lot in a small package.

This is the thing. I'm at that point where I'd rather just buy once. As long as it's fairly easy to use then I'll be happy. I'd rather have a device that does more than I need than one that doesn't do what I need as I grow into it.

I've been lookin' on the 'bay.

• Members

I don't remember if you said no software loopers. If that's not a non-option, how about something like ambiloop? I tried an earlier version a few years ago and it was cool, but I could not get rid of the dry signal. That might be a "windows mixer" issue though and not the fault of ambiloop.

I'd love to play with a real looper. All I've done is a "slow fading echo" thing where everything you play gets delayed a few seconds and gets quieter each time it gets delayed.

I've used an Alesis Wedge mostly and a couple times used 2 tape decks with a few feet of tape between them. And a EH Super Replay, which is really more of a pre-midi low-res sampler sort of kind of.

More looper talk please

• Members

What I'd like to be able to do, I think, is to be able to ultimately have a prerecorded drum track that I can start and then lay down a basic bass groove and then do some improvising over the top of it. Beyond that, I'm uncertain at this point. As I said previously, I'd rather not use a function than to want it and it not be there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry to get to this topic so late; newbie to the forums.

Several years ago I worked at a nightclub as a DJ when we hosted Hiram Bullock & Will Lee w/ drummer in a rare out-of-NYC appearance. I'm sure this forum (and ANY regular watcher of david Letterman or bass players in general) is no stranger to Will Lee.

They were of course spectacular. Primarily featuring Hiram Bullocks' post-Hendrix and reggae songs, there were of course numerous examples of their uncanny ability to re-create (or mimic, if you so choose to call it that) songs that we all know with unnerving accuracy, much as you may have seen them do over the years onh Letterman with their musical "bumpers" at the end of each televised segment. There were presented in several medley segments that bound 2-6 songs together in very intriguing juxtapositions.

Will Lee used a looper to extraordinary effect throughout the evening, but most tellingly on one selection (forgive me for not remembering the song) where he set up the bass pattern/groove for the song then switched to a TOTALLY different tone, that of a FLUTE, through what would have had to be a bass synth floor stomp box and essentially played a flute solo (with extremely accurate breath expression and phrasing) while the loop, Hiram and drummer continued. He was all over the higher reaches of the neck throughout the solo, then switched it off and the loop and returned to his position on the bottom of the song once again. VERY impressive and smooth as hell! Sorry I didn't get a chance to quiz him on the brand names, etc of what he used (they must be posted SOMEWHERE).

By the way, most folks might not also know about him that he is often the lead tenor VOICE of choice in the NYC area for commercials, which may come as a surprise (or not) seeing his limited visibility singing on the show (you probably hear him singing more than you see him singing).

Also, are any of you aware of his membership in the NYC area Beatle band the Fab Faux, which does letter perfect renditions of close to the entire Beatle catalog (I've only heard a couple of MP3 postings of such) including songs that the Beatles NEVER played live, such as I am the Walrus, etc.

Just wanted to share the info. Perhaps someone else on the forum can add to my notes on Will and or expand on where you can see the Fab Faux for those who might not be aware of their existence.

Archived