Replacing a jack

seraphim7s

• Members

Could I replace my stock jack with this 'un?

Or would it have to be this?

it depends on the guitar.

G&Ls and somegibbys use the second jack fenders are generally the first.

it depends on the access panel on the back of the bass.

what bass is it?

• Members

no 1 wont work for a bass with no access panel pn the back.

no 1 on my bass is mounted in a plate attached to the body and the body is routed..drilled rather ..to take the whole body of the jack..is this what you meant by panel pn..?

:thu:

• Members

It's for the bass in my sig.

Been 'on the Wirral' Mr Crow? You mean like Birken'ead? Thought you were a manc!?

i am in a walking club and the wirral is favourite for easy days out and good food..:rolleyes:

we do frodsham as well but mostly the derbyshire peaks and west pennine moors...and rivington of course...with the lakes a long day out excursion

my daughter went to liverpool university from 1996-1999

• Members

It's for the bass in my sig.

Been 'on the Wirral' Mr Crow? You mean like Birken'ead? Thought you were a manc!?

i had a P special and the jack was similar to no 1...but my P special had a J pup so that the 'normal' spot for the surface mounted jack in the spl was taken up by a mini pot for the tone

the jack was situated on the side of the bass mounted in a plate

for surface mounted jack in a scratchplate like the fender P i still think no 1 will be ok

PROVIDING!!!!

the rout is wide enough to accomidate it...if it touches the wood i will short out the signal a bit..

judging by the size of the tone pot fitted in my P special perhaps the jack no 2 would be more suitable if shorter...as it is in the picture suggests it would be fitted to a solid wooden body..

what jack is in the bass now..

• Members

i am in a walking club and the wirral is favourite for easy days out and good food..

we do frodsham as well but mostly the derbyshire peaks and west pennine moors...and rivington of course...with the lakes a long day out excursion

What the hell did you just say?????????:confused:

• Moderators

What the hell did you just say?????????
:confused:

It took me at least a year to understand mrcrow. I was worried he was only semi-literate. Now I find his posts to be brilliant and realize it was my reading skills that were sorely lacking.

• Members

My essex had a jack that was mounted on the side of the bass (not on a pickgaurd or on the top of the bass) and it had a jack like #1, but I replaced it with one like #2, it had enough room, I dig the gold jacks, might have to get a few just to spruce up the insides of my basses......

• Moderators

FYI - the standard jack is far more reliable long term than the barrel jack and costs about 1/3 as much. Barrel jacks fail more often even when sourced from the same company, such as Switchcraft. It is my advice to only use barrel jacks as a last resort.

• Members

I haven't had any trouble with the one I put in my essex, it's been over 5 years and it still works great.. I can see where if the connections got weak it would be impossible to just bend them in like you can with a standard jack....

• Members

the gold should really be on the inside of the jack socket and on the cable jack for good electrical continuity...

it would wear off of course being soft...

a gold jack in some cases wouldnt be seen to well..

for me if i didnt use chrome i would go for black..

• Moderators

the gold should really be on the inside of the jack socket and on the cable jack for good electrical continuity...

it would wear off of course being soft...

Which is why most gold hardware is then coated with something clear that eliminates any electrical advantage of using gold to begin with.

Archived