guitarist looking for a bass amp

FenderStrum

• Members

hi guys,

i am actually a guitarist for my indie band. i also play guitar and bass for church. we use a 50 watt yorkville bass combo, so i don't need to bring a bass amp to church. i guess i am just looking for a decent bass amp to play at home. i may invite friends over to play at my house, but they will either be on guitar and/or piano or vice versa. there won't be drums at my house since i don't have a drum set so i don't think i'll need to compete with a drummer.

my budget is under 250cad. i know, it's a pretty tight budget, but i have seen a few good items on my local craigslist and want to make a purchase soon before school starts. there is a roland bass cube 30 with built in effects, peavey basic 60, marshall b65 (65 watts), and a yorkville xm100 or 200 (100 and 200 watts respectively).

should i buy an amp with the most watts? i actually fancy the roland bass cube a lot as it is portable and has effects i can fool around with. i'm not sure if i'll be gigging with a bass amp, aside from playing for church and even still i have a bass amp to use at church. is there a difference between 30 watts and 60-65 watts?

• Moderators

It sounds like you are looking at good stuff. In that range I'd personally look for something at least 25-30 watts up to 100 watts with the features you need/want. There is not a lot of difference between 30 and 60 watts. There is some difference between 30 and 150. There is a big difference between 30 and 300.

• Members

yeah, i don't think i'll want a 200 watt bass combo. something light is preferable. besides, my actual bassist in the band is actually using a 100 watt yorkville and we can hear him just fine.

i think i'd want a bass amp that can be heard over an acoustic piano and possible a guitar or something. 30 watts should do it right? think of it as an acoustic set.

how about between the roland cube 30 and the marshall b65? which is more reliable?

• Members

It's basically besides 30 watts and 65 watts. The Roland at 30 watts offer effects which may be fun to play around with and fuel creativity for songs. The recording out is also good. Thing is, I don't know whether in the future I would gig on bass and need to bring my own amp. In which case, more wattage would be better. I mean, if this amp I am planning to get is only going to stay in my room, then 30 watts is quite enough. That said, I play bass for church and they supply an amp for me. Other than church, I don't play bass with other musicians, since I am mainly on guitar.

• Members

Actually yeah, I guess that makes sense. I'll probably need to go for something more than 65 watts for gigs anyways. That said, I only use 50 watts for church though.

Anyways, if that's the case, I am leaning more towards the Roland Bass Cube. More features and would probably be really good for recording.

• Members

Wait, I didn't like the Roland Cube 30 for guitar when I tried it. I mean, the cleans were alright, but the distortion and overdrives were horrible and sterile. Does the Roland Bass Cube actually have good low end and a nice bass tone? I can't find videos of the Roland Bass Cube 30.

Archived