Laptop recommendations?

willsellout

• Members
I'm almost sold on a Macbook as I could use it for recording as well. I'm absolutely clueless about mac though..if Mac is so good, why isn't everyone buying them? Why haven't they taken over the market?

Dan

Gates had the better business plan way back when. Apple bet on the hardware, MS bet on the software.

• Members

Adobe Reader is free.

Wait. I don't know if it is for Macs.

Yes it is...I checked around and Apple has it for free on there site..thanks god! Looks like a new Mac is in my very near future.

Thanks for all the advice guys, especially the Mac people!

BTW do you know if Garageband comes with a Mac automatically installed?

Dan

• Members

The one thing that's holding me up right now on the Mac is getting an Adobe reader..it looks like it's really expensive to get adobe.

Dan

reader is free.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

*edit* they use a platform detection script, so if you have a pc that link will take you to the pc download, if you have a mac, it will go to the mac download.

acrobat is not. for either platform.

as far as office, yes it will work.. for the most part. be aware that fonts are different on macs, and will not render the same (or at all) on a pc. this is especially true with powerpoint.

macs are not better than pc. they are just different. stability is about the same, provided that you don;t load them full of jank software. it is alot easier to fill a pc with jank, but it is just as possibly with a mac.

• Members

BTW do you know if Garageband comes with a Mac automatically installed?

It absolutely comes installed. And btw, Apple comes out with their speedbumps and new configs right before back to school time so nothing new should be coming out or announced until early Jan '08. In other words, you're not going to buy a Mac and have it be old news in a week or two.

• Members

It absolutely comes installed. And btw, Apple comes out with their speedbumps and new configs right before back to school time so nothing new should be coming out or announced until early Jan '08. In other words, you're not going to buy a Mac and have it be old news in a week or two.

Actually, Leopard (the next version of OSX) is suppose to debut in October. iLife'08 and iWork'08 are already out.....

Check the refurbished deals on their site, also, if you or someone in your house is a student or employee of a school, check out the education discounts (I think it's $100 on the MacBooks).

• Members

Actually, Leopard (the next version of OSX) is suppose to debut in October. iLife'08 and iWork'08 are already out.....

Check the refurbished deals on their site, also, if you or someone in your house is a student or employee of a school, check out the education discounts (I think it's $100 on the MacBooks).

D'oh! Forgot about that little thing. Sludge brings up a great point about the refurbs. They come with a full warranty and are less expensive that brand new. If there's an Apple Store near you, you can always ask what they have laying around in the back, that's how I bought my last one and it's ran like a champ for a bit over two years now.

• Members

I'm almost sold on a Macbook as I could use it for recording as well. I'm absolutely clueless about mac though..if Mac is so good, why isn't everyone buying them? Why haven't they taken over the market?

That's the big question isn't it. There's no easy answer. For one, only Apple sells Macs....where as everyone and their brother sells a Windows machine. From Dell to Gateway to HP to the guy that assembles it from parts bought from Newegg.

The Macs they have now are all PCs. Meaning you could take a Macintosh computer and load Windows on it now if you wanted. The great thing about the Mac...in my opinion that is...is the OS. OS X is why I use a Mac. I will say this, if Apple ever sold OS X by itself as an OS to load on any computer, I'd go that route. Their hardware is great, but it tends to go on the higher-end of the price scale....and they don't always embrace the newest technology right away. For instance, their Mac Pro desktops were great when they came out...but now their lagging behind, especially in the Videocard option department. But that's neither here nor there. It's OS X that's the thing. At least for me.

Good luck to you.

Archived