Laptop recommendations?

willsellout

• Members

So I have come to the point in my career where I absolutely need a laptop. It will be used for traveling around working on business stuff like word and ppt. presentations as well as watching movies and carrying around some music and such. Nothing fancy but something that can get the job done quickly and reliably. Any suggestions? My first thought is Dell, as I have had three computers with zero problems thus far.

Dan

• Members

Why does she hate them? What laptop does she like? What does she do?

They've just been problematic -- hard drive here, logic board there, that kind of stuff. I think that another part of her problem is twofold: 1, she works at Cisco and they pump laptops full of a bunch of stuff that slows performance and can compromise stability IMO. And 2, she's seen me use my Macs with near flawless performance ever since we've been married. She'd love to have my stability but then I don't have all the crap that she has on her hard drive either. She's due for a refresh in a few months so we'll see what happens after that.

• Members

They've just been problematic -- hard drive here, logic board there, that kind of stuff. I think that another part of her problem is twofold: 1, she works at Cisco and they pump laptops full of a bunch of stuff that slows performance and can compromise stability IMO. And 2, she's seen me use my Macs with near flawless performance ever since we've been married. She'd love to have my stability but then I don't have all the crap that she has on her hard drive either. She's due for a refresh in a few months so we'll see what happens after that.

I bought my X31 used under factory warranty and it's been great. It came with XP but I bought another drive and installed Debian on it. I can run W2K under VMware if I have to.

What BU at Cisco? I worked in building 3 for a couple of years for MSSBU/WANBU on the MGX-8850.

• Members

I bought my X31 used under factory warranty and it's been great. It came with XP but I bought another drive and installed Debian on it. I can run W2K under VMware if I have to.

What BU at Cisco? I worked in building 3 for a couple of years for MSSBU/WANBU on the MGX-8850.

She works in Thought Leadership under Ron Ricci. She's one floor beneath the chamber of Chambers.

• Members

And to think, I missed my opportunity to launch water balloons at your cube. She would have been in 17 at the time which would have made it a bit more of a difficult shot, but still doable.
:thu:

That was during the Golden Days. I remember once we had a fire drill and how disappointing it was that there was no band playing or party for us once we got outside. That was my signal to leave. :D

• Members

If I create something in a Mac using word or excel, can I transfer it over onto a PC directly? Are they interchangeable?

Dan

Yes...yes you can. Also, new version of Office coming out for Mac, but think it's delayed until the beginning of next year.

But the current office can save and open Windows Office files. Not to mention there are other alternatives to Office on both Windows and Mac.

If you get a Mac, make sure you get Applecare for it. While I usually don't get the extended warranties for things I buy, with Apple it's really a great deal. I had a Mac go out on me a year and a half ago (not a laptop, but a desktop), I got a brand-new Intel-based Mac in it's place since they didn't make the PPC Mac that had fried on me anymore! :thu:

• Members

That was during the Golden Days. I remember once we had a fire drill and how disappointing it was that there was no band playing or party for us once we got outside. That was my signal to leave.
:D

She's starting to really notice that big corprate culture is really starting to get some traction lately. And, to look around the halls, everyone seems to be 35+. Cisco isn't one of the cool companies anymore, I think that somehow it needs to reinvent its culture if, for no other reason, than attracting young talent. And a new logo isn't quite going to cut it. Yes, the glory days are gone. Stock's been doing better though. :thu:

• Members

Yes...yes you can. Also, new version of Office coming out for Mac, but think it's delayed until the beginning of next year.

But the current office can save and open Windows Office files. Not to mention there are other alternatives to Office on both Windows and Mac.

If you get a Mac, make sure you get Applecare for it. While I usually don't get the extended warranties for things I buy, with Apple it's really a great deal. I had a Mac go out on me a year and a half ago (not a laptop, but a desktop), I got a brand-new Intel-based Mac in it's place since they didn't make the PPC Mac that had fried on me anymore!

I'm almost sold on a Macbook as I could use it for recording as well. I'm absolutely clueless about mac though..if Mac is so good, why isn't everyone buying them? Why haven't they taken over the market?

Dan

• Members

She's starting to really notice that big corprate culture is really starting to get some traction lately. And, to look around the halls, everyone seems to be 35+. Cisco isn't one of the cool companies anymore, I think that somehow it needs to reinvent its culture if, for no other reason, than attracting young talent. And a new logo isn't quite going to cut it. Yes, the glory days are gone. Stock's been doing better though.

Can you ladies take your conversation elsewhere:D, your really interrupting the flow of this thread!:mad::lol:

Dan

Archived